Kashmiris look to Muslim world for help - Qureshi

Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi interacting with his Saudi counterpart, Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah, in Riyadh. (Photo Courtesy: Foreign Ministry of Pakistan)
Short Url
Updated 12 December 2019

Kashmiris look to Muslim world for help - Qureshi

  • Discusses bilateral relations with his Saudi counterpart in Riyadh
  • The two sides pledge to continue working for regional peace and stability

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said on Wednesday that people of Indian-administered Kashmir were expectantly looking at the international community, particularly the Muslim world, to help them get rid of “Indian atrocities” in the disputed Himalayan territory.
According to an official handout circulated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Qureshi expressed these views while interacting with his Saudi counterpart, Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah, in Riyadh.





Pakistan’s Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi interacting with his Saudi counterpart, Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah, in Riyadh. (Photo Courtesy: Foreign Ministry of Pakistan)

The two officials also discussed the bilateral relations between their countries and talked about the prevailing global and regional situation.
Qureshi briefed the Saudi foreign minister on the ongoing state of affairs in Indian-administered Kashmir, pointing out that New Delhi had deprived its residents of their basic human rights for nearly four months.
The two sides pledged to strengthen their diverse relations and continue to work for regional peace and stability.
Last week, representatives of the Saudi Shoura Council, led by the chairman Dr. Abdullah Bin Mohammed Al-Sheikh, arrived in Pakistan for meetings with the country’s top political leadership and members of parliament.
During one of the meetings, Prime Minister Imran Khan reaffirmed his commitment to deepen bilateral ties, and lauded the growing cooperation between the National Assembly and Saudi Shoura Council.


More snowfall raises safety fears in Pakistan's southwest

Updated 20 January 2020

More snowfall raises safety fears in Pakistan's southwest

  • Pakistan’s frost-ravaged southwest braces for more snowfall
  • Death toll due to recent extreme weather reached 106

KARACHI: The Met Office on Monday said that more snow is expected in parts of cold-ravaged southwestern and northern Pakistan over the next 48 hours, where life has already been paralyzed by torrential rains and snowfall last week.
The countrywide death toll from avalanches, landslides and other extreme weather-related incidents during the recent cold spell has risen to 106.
New storms are expected in some of the country’s most isolated places in northwestern Balochistan and Gilgit-Baltistan, according to the meteorological office.
The news made residents fear for their lives and safety.
“A new snowstorm will create new difficulties for us who live here,” said Hashim Khan, a resident of Balochistan’s Muslim Bagh area, which was badly affected by the recent record snowfall. He told Arab News over the phone that road access to remote villages was still cut off and communities remained stranded.
Authorities, however, say that this time they are prepared to address all dangers.
“Snowfall is expected, but it will not be as heavy as it was last week. We are ready to tackle the situation,” Muhammad Younus, an official of the provincial disaster management authority (PDMA) told Arab News.
According to NDMA data, out of the 106 people killed by the recent weather-related incidents, 79 died in Azad Kashmir, 20 in Balochistan, five in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and two in Gilgit-Baltistan. 
At least 103 people have been injured, while nearly 1,300 houses were damaged, mostly in Balochistan. 
Prime Minister Imran Khan has announced relief packages for the families of victims, National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) spokesman Saqib Mumtaz said on Monday.
“Chairman NDMA Lt. General Muhammad Afzal visited the rains and snowfall affected areas of Balochistan where Director General Provincial Disaster Management Authority Imran Zarkon briefed him on the losses and damages caused by (the) recent spell of rains and snowfall in the Province,” he told Arab News.
According to the PM House statement, Rs500,000 “will be extended to the families of every deceased person,” while Rs50,000 will be paid to those who are injured. Financial assistance of Rs100,000 “will be provided for the families with houses fully damaged or collapsed,” and between Rs25,000 and Rs50,000 will be given to those whose houses were partially damaged.
PDMA Balochistan said it had faced challenges in restoring the province's land transportation network, as heavy machinery for road clearance was insufficient. The NDMA chairman said the equipment will be supplied, funded from the National Disaster Management Fund (NDMF).