KARACHI: A senior member of Pakistan’s main opposition party said on Sunday the party would wait for a detailed court ruling before deciding on its plan of action with regards to legislation that would allow the government of Prime Minister Imran Khan to grant another term of office to the army chief.
Khan had said in August that he needed General Qamar Javed Bajwa to stay on for another three years because of ongoing security concerns, including heightened tensions with India over the disputed Kashmir region.
But last month, Pakistan’s Supreme Court suspended the extension, citing a series of irregularities and ordering the government and the army to produce legal provisions to support the reasoning behind the move.
After days of legal wrangling, the top court conditionally extended the army chief’s term on November 28 but ruled that the government had six months to justify why it granted the controversial extension and to clarify the section of Pakistan’s constitution governing the armed forces.
The ruling came as a short order. A full verdict is still awaited and has given rise to debate about whether the government would be able to grant the extension by passing an act of parliament or be required to push through a constitutional amendment, which requires a two-thirds majority in parliament.
On Saturday, a group of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PMLN) leaders held a meeting with party president Shehbaz Sharif in London to discuss the party’s plan of action following the Supreme court’s order.
“The PML-N leadership [has] decided to wait for [the] detailed judgment of the Supreme Court and to consult other opposition parties for a joint opposition position on this issue,” PML-N Secretary General Ahsan Iqbal, who was part of the huddle, told Arab News.
PML-N senator Mushahidullah Khan said he believed the Supreme Court’s detailed judgment would make it clear that the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) government was required to pass a constitutional amendment rather than simply an act of parliament.
“In the case of the constitutional amendment, the PTI will not be in a position to pass the bill as it requires two-thirds majority from both houses of the parliament,” Khan said. Even in the case of an act, he said the ruling party lacked simple majority in the upper house, or Senate.
Hassaan Sabir, a Karachi based constitutional lawyer, also said the PTI government lacked the required strength to amend the constitution without the support of the opposition.
“If the government fails to get a two-thirds majority in any of the houses... the amendment will fail,” he said, adding that opposition support in the Senate would be necessary even to pass a simple act.
Meanwhile, participants of the London meeting also paid a visit to PML-N party supremo Nawaz Sharif at his London apartment.
Sharif is in the UK for medical treatment after getting bail in a corruption conviction for which he was serving seven years in a Pakistani jail.
PML-N party chairman Raja Zafrul Haq said it was highly likely that Sharif would have to be taken to the US for treatment.
PMLN awaits full court ruling before moving on legislation for army chief extension
PMLN awaits full court ruling before moving on legislation for army chief extension
- In short order last month, Supreme Court gave the government six months to legally justify a three-year extension
- Ruling has given rise to debate about whether the government needs to pass an act of parliament or a constitutional amendment
Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
- Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
- Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase
COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.
Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.
The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.
“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.
Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.
“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.
“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.
“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.
“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”
Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.
“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.
“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”
Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.
“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”










