Victims of London Bridge attack discharged from hospital

1 / 2
Tributes to victims are seen on London Bridge in London, Britain December 2, 2019. (Reuters)
2 / 2
A couple place a bouquet of flowers on London Bridge in memory of the victims of last weeks attack in central London on December 2, 2019. (AFP)
Updated 06 December 2019

Victims of London Bridge attack discharged from hospital

  • “Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of those who sadly lost their lives and all those who have been impacted,” Dr. Vin Diwakar said
  • The court ruled that the joint enterprise law had been misinterpreted

LONDON: Three people injured in the London Bridge attack have been sent home after receiving medical treatment as more details emerged on the stabbings.
Dr. Vin Diwakar, medical director for the National Health Service in London, said Friday that the victims of the attack were recovering and that the last patient had been discharged.
“Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of those who sadly lost their lives and all those who have been impacted,” he said.
Usman Khan stabbed two people to death and injured three others on Nov. 29 before being shot and killed by police on the bridge. Khan had been attending a conference on prisoner rehabilitation when he attacked Cambridge University graduates Saskia Jones, 23 and Jack Merritt, 25.
As the injured recovered, some of those who subdued him began to speak out. John Crilly, a former prisoner who used a fire extinguisher to corner Khan together with other bystanders, lamented Merritt’s death in a Facebook post, describing him as the “the best guy I ever met.”
“(Jack) was killed by a ... a pathetic rubber dingy rapids type terrorist,” Crilly wrote. “Jack actually tried helping this guy! To educate him. As he educated me.”
Crilly’s conviction in the slaying of 71-year-old Augustine Maduemezia, was quashed by the Supreme Court last year. The court ruled that the joint enterprise law — in which defendants were prosecuted for murder even if they did not strike the fatal blow — had been misinterpreted.
The 48-year-old studied for an Open University law degree while in prison and graduated this year.
“I had a bad life, I’ve changed it, I wasn’t guilty of murder,” Crilly said after his release. “I totally accept what I did and it was wrong.”


Afghan assembly approves release of 400 ‘hard-core’ Taliban prisoners

Updated 5 min 28 sec ago

Afghan assembly approves release of 400 ‘hard-core’ Taliban prisoners

  • Some 3,200 Afghan community leaders and politicians gathered to advise the government on whether the prisoners should be freed
KABUL: Afghanistan’s grand assembly, or Loya Jirga, on Sunday approved the release of 400 “hard-core” Taliban prisoners, paving the way for the beginning of peace talks aimed at ending more than 19 years of war.
“In order to remove an obstacle, allow the start of the peace process and an end of bloodshed, the Loya Jirga approves the release of 400 Taliban,” the assembly said in a resolution.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani had convened the assembly in the capital Kabul, where some 3,200 Afghan community leaders and politicians gathered amid tight security and concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic to advise the government on whether the prisoners should be freed.
The Taliban militants had insisted they be released as a condition for entering peace talks with the government. With the release, the Afghan government will fulfil its pledge to release 5,000 Taliban prisoners.
Western diplomats said talks between the warring parties will start in Doha this week.
Deliberation around the release of last batch of Taliban prisoners, accused of conducting some of the bloodiest attacks across Afghanistan, had triggered outrage among civilians and rights groups who questioned the morality of the peace process.
But ahead of November elections, US President Donald Trump is determined to fulfil a major campaign promise of ending America’s longest war.
The drawdown will bring the number of US troops to “a number less than 5,000” by the end of November, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said in an interview broadcast on Saturday.
In a February pact allowing for the withdrawal of US troops, Washington and the Taliban agreed on the release of the Taliban prisoners as a condition for the talks with Kabul.