LAHORE: Pakistan’s former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was handed over to the country’s supreme anti-graft body for questioning in the Chaudhry Sugar Mills (CSM) case by an accountability court here on Friday.
Sharif is already serving a seven-year sentence in another case after he was found guilty of possessing assets beyond his known sources of income. He has appealed the verdict, though the apex court is yet to decide his fate in the matter.
The National Accountability Bureau (NAB), which is probing Sharif and his family for corruption and money laundering, took the incarcerated leader of the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) into custody from the Kot Lakhpat Jail and produced him before an accountability court as his supporters and party workers shouted slogans in his favor.
NAB officials claimed Sharif and his family were direct beneficiaries of the mill’s business transactions that were used for money laundering.
According to a report submitted in the court by the bureau, “the evidence collected so far reveals that the accused” was “involved in the acts of corruption and corrupt practices as defined under section 9 (a) of [National Accountability Ordinance] 1999.”
The statement also claimed that Sharif indulged in money laundering worth about Rs2000 million “in connivance with co-accused persons namely Maryam Safdar, Yousaf Abbas and others.”
It is pertinent to mention here that Sharif’s daughter, Maryam Nawaz, and nephew, Yousaf Abbas, have already been incarcerated in the same case.
Responding to NAB’s allegations, Advocate Amjad Pervaiz, who represents the PML-N leader, called the case “politically motivated.”
“The allegations leveled in the CSM case were part of the Panama case, investigated by a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) that was constituted on the Supreme Court’s instructions,” he said. “According to Pakistani laws, a person cannot be charged twice in the same case. This is double jeopardy and not legal.”
Sharif himself addressed the court, saying all allegations against him were fabricated since all the assets being investigated by NAB had already been declared.
He derided the anti-graft body, saying it was brought into being by a “dictator” and was used against PML-N leaders and other opposition parties.
Sharif also added he had served the country as prime minister three times and would quit politics if any corruption allegation was proved against him.
PML-N leaders also described court cases against the Sharifs as a diversionary tactic to remove people’s attention from real governance challenges.
“The whole proceeding is based on revenge, not justice,” said the party’s chairman, Raja Zafarul Haq, while talking to Arab News.
Ex-PM Sharif remanded in anti-graft body's custody in new case
Ex-PM Sharif remanded in anti-graft body's custody in new case
- The country’s former premier was already sentenced to seven years imprisonment on corruption charges last year
- National Accountability Bureau obtained Sharif’s 14-day physical remand in Chaudhry Sugar Mills case
Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson
- Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
- Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase
COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.
Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.
The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.
“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.
Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.
“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.
“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.
“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.
“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”
Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.
“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.
“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”
Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.
“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”









