Family renews search for missing Pakistani after Arab News photo

1 / 6
Sitting in the center, Sayed Arshad Ali Shah (son of the missing person) along with his brother, right, and his son, left, talks to Arab News on Tuesday, explaining the ordeal of his missing father. (AN photo)
2 / 6
A passport size photo of Said Sarim Shah, the Pakistani who went missing in Saudi Arabia while performing Umrah back in 2006. (AN Photo)
3 / 6
A frail, elderly pilgrim found himself in the safe hands of a Saudi soldier after he spotted him in Mina struggling to complete Hajj rites. (Photo courtesy: Saud Almosihij/@O03oK)
4 / 6
A copy of an air ticket, depicting departure and arrival routes of Said Sarim Shah, the Pakistani who went missing in Saudi Arabia while performing Umrah back in 2006. (AN Photo)
5 / 6
A copy of Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC) of Said Sarim Shah, the Pakistani who went missing in Saudi Arabia while performing Umrah back in 2006. (AN Photo)
6 / 6
A passport copy of Said Sarim Shah, the Pakistani who went missing in Saudi Arabia while performing Umrah back in 2006. (AN Photo)
Updated 10 October 2019
Follow

Family renews search for missing Pakistani after Arab News photo

  • Said Sarim Shah traveled to Saudi Arabia to perform Umrah in 2006 and disappeared
  • Son says old man in an Arab News photo published this August is his lost father

WAD PAGAH/PESHAWAR: It was 2006 when Said Sarim Shah traveled to Saudi Arabia to perform the Umrah pilgrimage and disappeared.
His family hasn’t seen him since — that is, until August this year when Arab News published a photograph on its front page of a policeman carrying an old man during the annual Hajj pilgrimage.
Shah’s son, Said Arshad Ali Shah, says the man in the picture is his father.




Sitting in the center, Sayed Arshad Ali Shah (son of the missing person) along with his brother, right, and his son, left, talks to Arab News on Tuesday, explaining the ordeal of his missing father. (AN photo)

“That photo went viral on social media and ultimately landed on my mobile, where I instantly recognized the man in the photo as my father,” Arshad told Arab News in the northwestern city of Peshawar, adding that the family was once more renewing its search for Shah thirteen years after his disappearance. Shah, who suffers from hearing loss and urinary problems, will turn 92 this year, his son said.
“After my father had been in the Kingdom for three months, my brother traveled to Saudi Arabia to search for him, but to no avail,” Arshad said. “We left no stone unturned to know his fate. Neither the Pakistani nor the Saudi Arabia embassies had any clue about his whereabouts.”
But Arshad added that after seeing the Arab News photo, he now planned to approach the Saudi Embassy in Islamabad once again to help track his father.
The Saudi embassy in Islamabad did not respond to requests for comment but Mudassir Cheema, a senior official at the Pakistan Embassy in Riyadh, told Arab News that Shah’s son had contacted the Pakistani Embassy in Saudi Arabia after seeing the newspaper photo.

Arab News front page on Monday the 12th of August 2019

The photograph was taken by Saudi photographer Saud Almusihij in August this year during an attempt to capture an image he could enter into the Best Hajj Photo competition.
In an interview with Arab News in August, Almusihij said he spotted a police officer approach an elderly man who was suffering in the heat and whose feet were hurting.
“The policeman spoke to the old man, poured water on his head to cool him down, then picked him up and carried him for almost three kilometers,” Almusihij said.
Almusihij knew he had his photo. And when Arshad saw the photo online, he knew his father was still alive.
“I keep the gate of my home ajar and my cell phone on round-the-clock in the hope of receiving good news about my father,” Arshad said.

SHAH'S DOCUMENTATION




A passport copy of Said Sarim Shah, the Pakistani who went missing in Saudi Arabia while performing Umrah back in 2006. (AN Photo)




A copy of Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC) of Said Sarim Shah, the Pakistani who went missing in Saudi Arabia while performing Umrah back in 2006. (AN Photo)




A copy of an air ticket, depicting departure and arrival routes of Said Sarim Shah, the Pakistani who went missing in Saudi Arabia while performing Umrah back in 2006. (AN Photo)

 


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.