Britain acknowledges pain of explorer Cook’s deadly encounter with Māoris

British High Commissioner Laura Clarke delivers a speech in Gisborne, New Zealand, Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019. (AP)
Updated 03 October 2019
Follow

Britain acknowledges pain of explorer Cook’s deadly encounter with Māoris

  • New Zealand is due to mark the anniversary of Cook’s arrival with events that will feature a replica of the Endeavour
  • Cook’s ship, the Endeavour, landed on the east side of the Turanganui River, near present-day Gisborne, on Oct. 8, 1769

SYDNEY: Britain’s envoy told New Zealand’s indigenous Māoris on Wednesday that Britain regretted the killings of nine of their number immediately after explorer James Cook landed in the territory 250 years ago.

At a ceremony marking the delivery in person of a “statement of regret” to local Māori tribal leaders ahead of the anniversary of Cook’s arrival, High Commissioner Laura Clarke said Britain understood that the pain of that arrival had not gone away, but did not offer a formal apology.

“Here on behalf of the four countries of the United Kingdom, on behalf of the people of those four countries ... I acknowledge the pain of those first encounters,” she told reporters in Gisborne, on the eastern coast of New Zealand’s North Island. She was expected to present a formal statement to local tribes privately.

Cook’s ship, the Endeavour, landed on the east side of the Turanganui River, near present-day Gisborne, on Oct. 8, 1769. The expedition got off to a disastrous start when a tribal leader, Te Maro, was shot and killed by one of Cook’s men. Historians say the Māoris may have been performing a ceremonial challenge that the Europeans took to be an attack.

“I acknowledge the deaths of nine of your ancestors including Te Maro who were killed by the crew of the Endeavour,” Clarke said, in remarks shown on New Zealand television.

“That was greatly regretted by the crew of the Endeavour at the time ... and it is regretted here today. It is deeply sad that the first encounter happened in the way that it did and to you as the descendants of those killed, I offer my every sympathy, for I understand that pain does not diminish with time.”

New Zealand is due to mark the anniversary of Cook’s arrival with events that will feature a replica of the Endeavour.


Myanmar expels East Timor envoy after rights group complaint against junta

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Myanmar expels East Timor envoy after rights group complaint against junta

  • Myanmar has been in turmoil since 2021, when the military ousted the elected government led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi
Myanmar has ordered the head ‌of East Timor’s diplomatic mission to leave the country within seven days, state media quoted the foreign ministry as saying on Monday, in an escalating row ​over a criminal complaint filed by a rights group against Myanmar’s armed forces.
Myanmar has been in turmoil since 2021, when the military ousted the elected government led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking a wave of anti-junta protests that have morphed into a nationwide civil war.
Myanmar’s Chin state Human Rights Organization (CHRO) last month filed a complaint with the justice ‌department of East Timor, ‌also known as Timor-Leste, alleging that ​the ‌Myanmar junta ⁠had ​carried out ⁠war crimes and crimes against humanity since the 2021 coup.
In January, CHRO officials also met East Timor President Jose Ramos-Horta, who last year led the tiny Catholic nation’s accession into the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), of which Myanmar is also a member.
CHRO filed the complaint in East Timor because it was seeking ⁠an ASEAN member with an independent judiciary ‌as well as a country that would ‌be sympathetic to the suffering of ​Chin State’s majority Christian population, ‌the group’s Executive Director Salai Za Uk said.
“Such unconstructive engagement by ‌a Head of State of one ASEAN Member State with an unlawful organization opposing another ASEAN Member State is totally unacceptable,” the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar quoted the foreign ministry as saying.
A spokesman for ‌the Myanmar junta did not respond to calls seeking comment.
In early February, CHRO said East Timor’s ⁠judicial authorities had ⁠opened legal proceedings against the Myanmar junta, including its chief Min Aung Hlaing, following the complaint filed by the rights group.
Myanmar’s foreign ministry said East Timor’s acceptance of the case and the country’s appointment of a prosecutor to look into it resulted in “setting an unprecedented practice, negative interpretation and escalation of (public) resentments.”
East Timor’s embassy in Myanmar did not immediately respond to a request for comment sent via email.
The diplomatic spat comes as the Myanmar military faces international scrutiny for its role in an ​alleged genocide against the minority ​Muslim Rohingya in a case being heard at the International Court of Justice.
Myanmar has denied the charge.