Hong Kong’s sky-high property prices prove resilient amid protests

Despite the worst protests since Hong Kong reverted to China rule, property prices have hardly budged. (Reuters/File)
Updated 30 September 2019
Follow

Hong Kong’s sky-high property prices prove resilient amid protests

  • Property rates rose 10% this year; new projects ‘still attracting strong interest’

HONG KONG: While months of Hong Kong protests have scared away tourists, sent jitters across the financial center and cast a dark cloud over the local economy, there’s one thing residents of the city are confident they can bank on — sky-high property prices.

Home prices in the former British colony have rocketed over 200 percent in the past decade, driven by limited housing supply and large capital flows from mainland Chinese buyers, angering many residents who can’t afford to get on the property ladder.

And despite the worst protests since Hong Kong reverted to China rule, property prices have hardly budged.

Lily Chow, a 32-year-old clerk, is among the lucky ones. She and her husband recently snapped up a two-bedroom apartment off the plans for HK$7.5 million ($957,000) in the New Territories.

“I am not confident in the government, outlook or economy. I am only confident that Hong Kong property prices will not drop,” Chow told Reuters in the sales office of the development.

Property firm Wheelock has sold 80 percent of the 816 flats in its projects since late August, lower than sales at other launches this year, but “still good” given the current environment, property agents said.

As Hong Kong gears up for yet another anti-government protest on Oct. 1 — the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People’s Republic of China — there was scant sign the prospect of further violence had dampened homebuyer demand.

Hundreds of prospective buyers queued on Thursday in a sales office in the gleaming International Commerce Center (ICC) skyscraper for a development near Mong Kok district, the site of some of the most violent protests in recent months.

“The political environment is shakeable, but I am pretty sure the property market is unshakeable,” said office assistant Candy Lau, 32, as she queued for an HK$8 million, single-room apartment in the development by Sun Hung Kai Properties , Hong Kong’s largest developer by market value.

A week earlier, Sun Hung Kai launched its first batch of 352 flats in the same development in Kowloon district, selling all but one to underscore the strong demand.

A traditional belief in bricks and mortar investment and a history of strong returns from property has helped Hong Kong home buyers keep the faith.

Official data showed Hong Kong property prices rose close to 10 percent in the first seven months of the year, including a tiny 0.1 percent decline in July after the mass protests intensified in mid-June.

One reason for the smaller-than-expected drop was low transaction volumes during July, caused by a mismatch of price expectations between sellers and buyers.

But with signs last month that sellers were more willing to reduce their initial asking prices, volumes have stabilized, according to realtors.


Saudi minister launches $810m infrastructure and industrial projects in Sudair

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi minister launches $810m infrastructure and industrial projects in Sudair

RIYADH: Minister of Industry and Mineral Resources and Chairman of the Board of the Saudi Authority for Industrial Cities and Technology Zones, known as MODON, Bandar Alkhorayef, launched capital projects valued at approximately SR3 billion ($810 million), covering infrastructure, water, electricity, and ready-built factories.

He also oversaw the signing of several supporting industrial contracts in Sudair City for Industry and Businesses in the presence of MODON's CEO, Majed Al-Argoubi‏.

The announcement came during the minister’s visit to Sudair City for Industry and Businesses, where he inaugurated a number of infrastructure development projects worth SR1.8 billion.

These included upgrades to road networks and water and sewage systems, construction of a 12,500-cubic-meter water reservoir, and the launch of the fourth phase of infrastructure development, covering 6 million sq. meters.

The visit also included a review of the construction of a 200 megavolt-amperes electrical substation, as well as a project to build 44 ready-built factories to enhance the city’s readiness to attract industrial investment and improve services for entrepreneurs.

The minister also witnessed the signing of six industrial and investment contracts and a memorandum of understanding with the private and public sectors, with total investments exceeding SR1billion.

The agreements are part of the authority’s efforts to create an attractive investment environment locally and internationally, support the localization of industries, and enhance local content, as well as improve the quality of life in industrial cities.

In the field of human capital development, MODON signed an SR16 million contract with the Majmaah Chamber of Commerce to establish a state-of-the-art training center. The hub aims to develop specialized national competencies that support the growth of the industrial sector and includes an incubator dedicated to the children of industrial city employees.

The series of partnerships concluded with a MoU with AJEX, which will provide shared logistics and transport services at Sudair City for Industry and Businesses.

The initiative is designed to enhance the quality of logistics services for investors, a critical factor in enabling sustainable industrial sector growth.

These partnerships align with the objectives of the National Industrial Strategy, which seeks to build an advanced industrial base, strengthen national supply chains, enable high-value-added industries, and increase the industrial sector’s contribution to gross domestic product.