Huawei already producing 5G base stations without US parts

Chinese tech giant Huawei has said it is willing to license its 5G mobile technology to a US company and is not afraid of creating a rival. (Reuters)
Updated 26 September 2019

Huawei already producing 5G base stations without US parts

  • US sanctions cut off Huawei’s access to essential US technologies

HONG KONG: Huawei Technologies CEO Ren Zhengfei said the company is already producing 5G base stations that are free of US components and plans to more than double production next year.

From October, the company will be producing 5,000 of the 5G mobile communications base stations per month, and next year it plans to make about 1.5 million stations, Ren said during a forum.

Huawei, the world’s largest telecoms gear maker, has been on a US trade blacklist since May over concerns that its equipment could be used by Beijing to spy. Huawei has repeatedly denied such allegations.

US sanctions cut off Huawei’s access to essential US technologies. The latest version of its Mate 30 flagship phone, unveiled last week in Europe, will not come with Google Mobile Services.

“We carried out the testing in August and September, and from October on we will start scale production, at 5,000 units a month,” Ren said.

“So our production capacity this year will be 600,000 and we expect that figure to go up to 1.5 million next year.”

Will Zhang, Huawei’s president of corporate strategy, said the performance of the US-free base stations was “no worse,” and the company “has had positive surprises.” He declined to give details.

Ren said Huawei would still like to use US components if possible because it has “emotional ties” with long-time US suppliers.

Earlier this month, Ren said that he was open to selling the firm’s 5G technology to Western firms for a one-off fee.

On Thursday he went further, saying Huawei was willing to license its 5G mobile technology to a US company, and that he was not afraid of creating a rival by making Huawei’s technology available to competitors.

The offer could also include chip design know-how, he added.

The offer to license out 5G technology marks the latest attempt by Huawei, also the world’s No. 2 smartphone vendor, to minimize the impact of the US trade ban. It expects a hit of about $10 billion to revenue from its phone business this year.


Trump calls for World Bank to stop lending to China

Updated 07 December 2019

Trump calls for World Bank to stop lending to China

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump on Friday called for the World Bank to stop giving loans to China, one day after the institution adopted a lending plan to Beijing over Washington’s objections.
The World Bank on Thursday adopted a plan to aid China with $1 billion to $1.5 billion in low-interest loans annually through June 2025. The plan calls for lending to “gradually decline” from the previous five-year average of $1.8 billion.
“Why is the World Bank loaning money to China? Can this be possible? China has plenty of money, and if they don’t, they create it. STOP!” Trump wrote in a post on Twitter.
Spokespeople for the White House and the World Bank did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The World Bank loaned China $1.3 billion in the fiscal 2019 year, which ended on June 30, a decrease from around $2.4 billion in fiscal 2017.
But the fall in the World Bank’s loans to China is not swift enough for the Trump administration, which has argued that Beijing is too wealthy for international aid.