Iranian regime’s threatening behavior will not be tolerated, Pompeo tweets after meeting with Saudi crown prince

1 / 3
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Wednesday described strikes on key Saudi oil installations as an “act of war” as he landed in Jeddah to meet with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. (Reuters)
2 / 3
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo walks after steping off his plane upon arrival at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah. (AFP)
3 / 3
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo walks with US ambassador to Saudi Arabia John Abizaid, right, and Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf, after arriving at King Abdulaziz International Airport in Jeddah. (AP)
Updated 20 September 2019

Iranian regime’s threatening behavior will not be tolerated, Pompeo tweets after meeting with Saudi crown prince

  • Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an 'Iranian attack'
  • Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf. 

JEDDAH: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday said Iranian strikes on key Saudi oil installations will not go unpunished as he reaffirmed his country's support for Saudi Arabia in a meeting Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

"The U.S. stands with #SaudiArabia and supports its right to defend itself. The Iranian regime’s threatening behavior will not be tolerated," Pompeo tweeted after the meeting in Jeddah.

Pompeo stressed during the meeting that the US supports the steps taken by the Saudi Arabia for international experts to investigate the source of the attacks on Saudi Aramco in Abqaiq and Khurais on Sept. 14, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.

Houthi militias in Yemen had initially claimed responsibility for the drone and cruise missile strikes, but Pompeo said it was an “Iranian attack”.

He said the strikes had not come from the Iran-backed Houthi militants and that there was no evidence the attacks had been launched from Iraq.

"This is an attack of a scale we've just not seen before," he added.

For his part, the Crown Prince stressed during the meeting that these attacks were aimed at destabilizing the region’s security and damaging global energy supplies and economy.

The meeting was attended by Prince Khalid bin Salman, Deputy Minister of Defense, and Dr. Musaed AlAiban, State Minister and Member of Council of Ministers, as well as the US Ambassador in Riyadh John Abizaid.

Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf.

Pompeo's visit comes as President Donald Trump said on Wednesday there were many options short of war with Iran after Saudi Arabia's display of remnants of drones and missiles it said were used in the I that was "unquestionably sponsored" by Tehran.

"There are many options. There's the ultimate option and there are options that are a lot less than that. And we'll see," Trump told reporters in Los Angeles. "I'm saying the ultimate option meaning go in — war."

Trump, who earlier said on Twitter that he had ordered the US Treasury to "substantially increase" sanctions on Iran, told reporters the unspecified, punitive economic measures would be unveiled within 48 hours.

Trump's tweet followed repeated US assertions that the Islamic Republic was behind Saturday's attack on Aramco facilities and came hours after Saudi Arabia said the strike was a "test of global will."

Earlier on Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had spoken with US President Donald Trump about the Aramco attack, and agreed that Iran must not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.

Also on Wednesday, Kuwait's army released a statement announcing it was raising its preparedness level for some units, given the tensions in the Middle East region.


Four people stabbed in Riyadh

Updated 11 November 2019

Four people stabbed in Riyadh

RIYADH: Riyadh police are currently investigating a stabbing that took place at King Abdullah Park in Al-Malaz. The man attacked live performers on a stage and injured four of them. Police evacuated the area as a precautionary measure.

According to Yaser Al-Jalajil, official spokesman for the Saudi Red Crescent in Riyadh, nine teams arrived at the location and transported all injured victims to Prince Mohammed bin Abdul Aziz Hospital. The incident took place at 8 p.m.

Earlier a video clip of the incident was circulated on social media showing the attacker jumping on the stage and attacking the victims. A security guard was seen tackling the man and bringing him down.

Arab News contacted police sources who said that they were investigating the incident and would issue a statement. According to reports an Arab national armed with a knife was arrested from the scene.