World’s richest horse race Saudi Cup to ‘open doors’ for tourists to Saudi Arabia

The race, billed as the richest on the planet with a prize fund of $20 million, will be run at the King Abdul Aziz racetrack in Riyadh on Feb. 29.
Updated 16 September 2019
Follow

World’s richest horse race Saudi Cup to ‘open doors’ for tourists to Saudi Arabia

  • Race billed as the richest on the planet with prize fund of $20 million
  • Visa procedures for the event were also confirmed on Monday

LONDON: Next year’s Saudi Cup horse race in Riyadh will help open up Saudi Arabia to visitors from around the world, Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia chairman Prince Bandar bin Khalid Al-Faisal said on Monday.

The race, billed as the richest on the planet with a prize fund of $20 million, will be run at the King Abdul Aziz racetrack in Riyadh on Feb. 29.

The race over a distance of nine furlongs (1,800 meters) on the dirt track will have a maximum field of 14 starters and will be free to enter and to participate in.

Prince Bandar told Arab News the race will allow visitors to the Kingdom an opportunity to enjoy everything the country has to offer.

“This event was initiated by the Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia, it has been two years in the making, and we were extremely encouraged by the position of the government,” he said.

“They have been very supportive in everything they can do to ensure it is a successful event, there is a definite political will to do so.”

Prince Bandar referred to an announcement earlier this month that Saudi Arabia would open its doors to tourists from around the world by the end of 2019.

“So that works for us very nicely,” he added.

Prince Bandar said while the prize money was obviously important in building the reputation of the event, it was not the sole reason for its hosting and that he hoped it would establish Saudi Arabia as a major racing nation on the global stage.




Jockey Club of Saudi Arabia's chairman Prince Bandar (C) with a host of UK trainers and jockey Frankie Dettori at the London launch of the Saudi Cup. (AN Photo/Daniel Fountain)

“It definitely falls in line with the kind of activities that are now opening up the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and its people and culture to people from all over the world, so that they can come and experience the country first-hand and have the opportunity to see a part of the world that has not been visited as often as we would like.

“The introduction of the Saudi Cup as an international race is without doubt the most significant event in the history of horse racing in Saudi Arabia and it demonstrates our resolve to develop this great sport in the Kingdom and also our ambition to become a leading player on horse racing’s world stage,” he added.

During his address in central London Prince Bandar said: “We will be thrilled to welcome international competitors to these new races. I am especially pleased that we will be having turf racing in Riyadh for the first time, things are really beginning to take shape.”

The prince also said he was keen for women jockeys and trainers to get involved with the Saudi Cup, adding they would be “most welcome” to compete at the event, and that he hoped it would entice some of the world’s most promising female talent.

“Women have been very active in equestrianism as a whole in the Kingdom, it is quite normal in Saudi Arabia for them to compete at that level,” he said.

Also announced at the London launch were the meeting’s support races, which include a staying handicap race run over 3,000 meters, a middle-distance race over 2,100 meters, while the two races on the dirt track are over 1,200 meters and 1,600 meters.

Tom Ryan, Saudi Cup Race Director, said the races and the horses competing in them had been selected to offer the most competitive spectacle possible for the estimated 10,000-12,000 expected to be watching at the racetrack itself and global television audiences.

World-renowned jockey Frankie Dettori also spoke at the event and described his experiences of running horses on the King Abdul Aziz dirt track.

“I’ve been very fortunate to have been going there for a number of years, and the quality of the dirt track in Riyadh is second to none, probably the best I’ve ridden on. 

“I’ve ridden European horses on it, and they take to it really well, and the new turf track will give the day even more appeal. 

“I’m sure this is going to attract a lot of interest from around the world, I hope I’ll be there on the starting line come February 29.”

Visa procedures for the event were also confirmed on Monday, with the Saudi Cup following a similar system used by recent sporting events hosted in Saudi Arabia. Racegoers who buy a ticket for the Saudi Cup will automatically receive a visa to enter the Kingdom.

Prince Bandar said: “In Saudi Arabia, we’ve had experience with Formula E and other such events, whether it is in hospitality or entertainment and we have no problem with accommodation for those involved with the horses or who wish to attend the event.

“We will also be providing programs and packages for people who wish to tour Saudi Arabia, whether it is for the archaeology, for nature, or the seas, deserts or mountains — we have everything accounted for.”


Pegula and Anisimova win to set up all-American semi-final showdown in Dubai

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

Pegula and Anisimova win to set up all-American semi-final showdown in Dubai

  • Both of last year’s finalists Andreeva and Tauson eliminated after marathon matches in Thursday afternoon’s daylight quarterfinals

DUBAI: WTA 1000 week at this year’s Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships is heading for an epic conclusion with two top-ranked players sealing progression to Friday’s semi-finals after mouthwatering marathons on Centre Court today.

In a quarter-final line-up where three of the four matches featured first-time meetings, the opening match pitted last year’s defeated finalist, Denmark’s towering Clara Tauson, against fourth seed Jessica Pegula.

Prior to play, neither player had lost a set in Dubai this year and the early throes of the tie demonstrated exactly why, as both exchanged blistering baseline groundstroke winners under the early afternoon sunshine. After a tense 40-plus minutes, a single break of serve was enough for Pegula to take the first set, 6-3.

The second set, however, saw a sharp reversal of fortunes. Tauson, widely regarded as a junior prodigy after surpassing 2011 Dubai champion’s Caroline Wozniacki record as the youngest winner of the Danish tennis championship before she became the first Dane to top the junior world rankings, rediscovered her ruthless streak.

With crosswinds swirling around Centre Court, the Dane took more risks and found the desired levels of accuracy as she broke Pegula twice in succession to claim the set 6-2 and level the tie.

With the delicately poised final set proceeding on serve until 3-3, Pegula struck a decisive break in game seven to move ahead. After respective holds of serve, the American held once more to clinch the match, seal progression to the final four, and ensure a minimum of $197,000 in prize money as well as 390 ranking points.

“I’m starting to feel more like myself again after a tough stretch earlier in the season,” said the World No. 5, before serving an ominous warning to her Dubai title rivals. “I’ve been serving better and moving well physically, and the work with my coaches has helped me get back to the roots of my game.”

Pegula will face second seed and World No. 6 Amanda Anisimova after she triumphed 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(4), against defending champion and fifth seed Mirra Andreeva in a thrill-a-minute encounter that clocked in at just under 160 minutes.

In only the second meeting between the two players — Anisimova edged Andreeva in a three-setter in Miami last year — the pair produced arguably the tie of the tournament so far. For three sets, the rollercoaster contest had everything; power, touch, stunning shot selection and execution, dramatic rallies, and the moments of world-class quality expected when two top five seeds meet.

After sharing the first two sets, and with a near-capacity Centre Court enthralled by the pendulum-like momentum, the match ramped up yet another gear in the deciding set. Andreeva went 3-1 up after breaking her American opponent twice in a row, but Anisimova hit back by winning four games on the spin to serve for the match at 5-4.

Andreeva, the youngest winner in both Dubai and any WTA 1000 event, was not yet ready to relinquish her title defence, lifting her game to win the next three games and move 6-5 ahead. Anisimova, after holding serve to make it 6-6, started the tiebreaker with greater purpose, eventually holding the third of her four match points to dethrone Andreeva and seal an all-American semi-final with Pegula.

“It was almost me in tears there at the end,” said Anisimova, referring to Andreeva, who sat inconsolably crying post-match. “It was such a tough battle, Meera fought so hard today, she’s playing so well and was fighting like a champion on court. I feel like these types of matches, it’s always tough that someone has lose at the end of the day. But, yeah, I feel like we both played great, and I’m really happy to get through.

“I love playing here in Dubai and I’m really excited for every match. Every point is going to be different, and I really enjoy that challenge. I play against Jess tomorrow, so another great fight, and hopefully we’ll have a good match. It’s always exciting against another American, she’s always bringing her best, and I feel like we always have great matches.”