Taliban in contact with US negotiators, seeking clarification on cancellation: spokesperson

In this file photo, Suhail Shaheen, spokesman for the Taliban's political office in Doha, speaks to the media in Moscow, Russia, May 28, 2019. ( AP/File)
Updated 10 September 2019
Follow

Taliban in contact with US negotiators, seeking clarification on cancellation: spokesperson

  • If peaceful settlement not an option, Taliban prepared to wage war, says spokesman
  • Timing of Trump’s cancelation of peace talks took Taliban leaders by surprise

ISLAMABAD, Sept. 10 – Taliban spokesman Suhail Shaheen said in a video interview that Taliban and US negotiating teams were still in contact and that the Taliban have shared their concerns with the US side on President Trump’s cancelation of lengthy peace talks.
On Saturday, Trump unexpectedly announced in a series of Twitter posts that he had canceled a secret summit with major Taliban leaders at Camp David due to an attack in Kabul last week which killed 12 people, including an American soldier.
Shaheen told the Taliban “al-emarah” website in a Pashto language interview posted on Tuesday, that the Taliban have sought “official clarification” from the American negotiating team about the cancelation, which came despite finalizing the draft of an agreement for a drawdown in US troops from America’s longest war, one of Trump’s foreign policy objectives.




Suhail Shaheen, spokesman for the Taliban's political office in Doha talking to “al-emarah”, The Taliban's website.  On Tuesday September 09, 2019, the Taliban has posted in its webpage a video interview with Shaheen. (Courtesy: alemarahvideo.org)


“There are contacts between the negotiation teams. We had contact with them since long which is still intact. We have conveyed our concerns and they have also informed us about their stance. We have called for official clarification about the recent developments and we await their response,” the Taliban spokesman said.
For now, Washington has recalled its special envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, the chief US negotiator.
But Shaheen said Trump’s argument for pulling the plug on talks was misplaced and that American and other foreign forces had also intensified ground operations, aerial bombings and night raids, with the Taliban simply responding in kind.
“He (Trump) talked about the attack in Kabul but there was no cease-fire. They (US forces) also carried out operations and night raids in different provinces like Badakhshan, Farah, Kunduz and Helmand to provoke reaction from the Islamic Emirate,” Shaheen said, referring to the Taliban’s preferred title.
“They conducted operations when the negotiations with us were ongoing. I think the single attack was no justification to call off the talks. They should have also stopped attacks if they object to our attack. If they think attacks harm peace talks, then why were they conducting operations,” the Taliban spokesman said.
He also referred to a recent statement by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who said American forces had killed 1,000 Taliban in ten days. Shaheen said the dead were mostly Afghan civilians.
After news emerged of the Camp David scenario, Trump was heavily criticized for planning to host the militant group on US soil, days before the 18th anniversary of the Al-Qaeda led Sept. 11, 2001 attacks where almost 3,000 people had died, and whose mastermind, Osama Bin Laden, the Taliban had sheltered.
Shaheen confirmed the Camp David invitation which he said the group’s Qatar representatives had accepted.
“Yes, they (the US government) had extended invitation to us through Khalilzad at the end of August and we accepted the invitation but we told them to let the agreement be signed and announced first at a ceremony attended by foreign ministers from other countries,” Shaheen said.
The timing of Trump’s Twitter posts had taken the group’s political leaders by surprise, Shaheen said, because they came after the final draft agreement had already been handed over to Qatari officials to pick a date for the formal signing.
“Trump’s unexpected tweets were surprising for us. There was neither any indication about Trump’s decision, nor did the US side make new demands during the last meetings which were also attended by Khalilzad, the top US commander in Afghanistan, General Miller, and Mullah Baradar,” Shaheen said.
Shaheen said the group remained committed to a peaceful settlement, but added that if peace was not an option, the group was prepared to wage war.
“Our position is clear. We want a peaceful solution to the Afghan problem. If not, we have been waging jihad for 18 years and want to end Afghanistan’s invasion (by US and foreign forces) through jihad and to establish an Islamic system,” he said, referring to the Islamic concept of holy war.
On Tuesday, US Secretary of State Pompeo told CNN that the US would not withdraw its troops on a timeline, or stop supporting Afghan forces, if “the Taliban don’t behave.”


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”