Yemen government forces retake Aden and presidential palace from separatists

Pro-government soldiers patrol an area taken by government forces during recent clashes with southern separatists in Shabwa province. On Wednesday, government forces declared it had retaken Aden. (AFP)
Updated 28 August 2019
Follow

Yemen government forces retake Aden and presidential palace from separatists

  • Government forces have recaptured most of the neighbouring towns they had previously lost to the separatists
  • The information minister said that government forces had taken Aden's airport

ADEN: Yemen government forces reclaimed control of Aden Wednesday, including the presidential palace, after the city was seized by separatists earlier this month.

Forces loyal to the internationally recognised government of Yemeni President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi were able “to secure the presidential palace in Aden and the surrounding areas,” Information Minister Moammer Al-Eryani tweeted.

“The national army and security services have full control over the province's districts.”

Clashes shook Aden, Yemen’s interim capital, on Wednesday when government forces attacked the Yemeni city’s eastern suburbs and fought artillery duels with southern separatists, residents said.

Government forces earlier recaptured most of the neighbouring towns they had previously lost to the separatists before moving towards the port city of Aden, they said.

Al-Iryani said government forces had taken Aden’s airport from the separatists.

Witnesses said clashes could be heard in Aden's Al-Arech and Khor Maksar districts, as well as around Aden's airport.

Government forces took control of Zinjibar, the capital of the neighbouring Abyan, earlier on Monday, after securing most of the oil-producing province of Shabwa and its liquefied natural gas terminal in Balfaf.


Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Updated 28 min 46 sec ago
Follow

Palestinians from West Bank arrive at Israeli checkpoints for first Friday prayers of Ramadan

Palestinian worshippers coming from West Bank cities arrived at Israeli checkpoints on Friday hoping to cross to attend first Friday prayers of Ramadan at al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

Some said they were not allowed to enter and were asked to go back.

Israeli authorities said they would only allow up to 10,000 Palestinian worshippers from the West Bank to attend prayers at al-Aqsa, as security forces stepped up deployments across the city.

Police said preparations for Ramadan had been completed, with large numbers of officers and border police to be deployed in the Old City, around holy sites and along routes used by worshippers. 

Israel's COGAT, a military agency that controls access to the West Bank and Gaza, said that entry to Jerusalem from the West Bank would be capped at 10,000 worshippers. Men aged 55 and over and women aged 50 and over will be eligible to enter, along with children up to age 12 accompanied by a first-degree relative, COGAT said. 

Al-Aqsa lies at the heart of Jerusalem's old city. It is Islam's third holiest site and known to Jews as Temple Mount.