Yemen separatists ready for talks in Saudi Arabia over Aden crisis

Thousands of Yemenis rallied in Aden in support of the separatists on Thursday. (AFP)
Updated 17 August 2019
Follow

Yemen separatists ready for talks in Saudi Arabia over Aden crisis

  • STC thanks Saudi Arabia for efforts to contain crisis

ADEN: Yemen’s southern separatists say they were ready to attend a summit in Saudi Arabia to resolve a standoff in Aden after they seized the southern port, seat of Yemen’s internationally recognized government.

“We thank Saudi Arabia for its earnest efforts to contain the crisis and invite the parties for talks in Jeddah,” the Southern Transitional Council (STC) said in a statement. “The meeting will be held as soon as necessary arrangements are completed.”

The STC statement outlined its plans for governance in Aden, including “moving all military units to bases outside the city with the exception of public security and support troops.”

“There is no daylight between the UAE and Saudi Arabia when it comes to Yemen. We are completely aligned,” a UAE official said in a statement.

“We remain deeply concerned over the situation in Aden, and the coalition’s engagement on the ground is evolving with the aim of establishing conditions for stability, security and peace,” the official added.

The UN is working to reduce tensions throughout Yemen to pave the way for negotiations to end the war that has killed tens of thousands.

Meanwhile, the Arab coalition supporting the legitimate government in Yemen said that it had intercepted a Houthi drone that was launched from Amran province in western central Yemen, said SPA.

Earlier, a Yemeni Southern Transitional Council (STC) leader tweeted saying that the council was, still is, and will remain closely allied to the Arab coalition in its efforts to defeat the “Iranian Houthi project.”

“We were, still are, and will remain a close ally to the Arab coalition, believing in the mission of defeating the Iranian-Houthi project,” Ahmed bin Fareed tweeted.

“The dreams of those who wanted us to be something else will be shattered. Loyalty is our law and we fulfil our promises,” he added.

Bin Fareed’s tweet included two pictures from the STC rally, one of which shows people holding a poster of Saudi King Salman with the words “Salman in our hearts.” The other shows the Saudi flag raised among dozens of STC flags.

The separatists are a component of the alliance that intervened in Yemen in March 2015 against the Houthis. 


The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

Updated 15 February 2026
Follow

The UN says Al-Hol camp population has dropped sharply as Syria moves to relocate remaining families

  • Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade

DAMASCUS: The UN refugee agency said Sunday that a large number of residents of a camp housing family members of suspected Daesh group militants have left and the Syrian government plans to relocate those who remain.
Gonzalo Vargas Llosa, UNHCR’s representative in Syria, said in a statement that the agency “has observed a significant decrease in the number of residents in Al-Hol camp in recent weeks.”
“Syrian authorities have informed UNHCR of their plan to relocate the remaining families to Akhtarin camp in Aleppo Governorate (province) and have requested UNHCR’s support to assist the population in the new camp, which we stand ready to provide,” he said.
He added that UNHCR “will continue to support the return and reintegration of Syrians who have departed Al-Hol, as well as those who remain.”
The statement did not say how residents had left the camp or how many remain. Many families are believed to have escaped either during the chaos when government forces captured the camp from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces last month or afterward.
There was no immediate statement from the Syrian government and a government spokesperson did not respond to a request for comment.
At its peak after the defeat of IS in Syria in 2019, around 73,000 people were living at Al-Hol. Since then, the number has declined with some countries repatriating their citizens. The camp’s residents are mostly children and women, including many wives or widows of IS members.
The camp’s residents are not technically prisoners and most have not been accused of crimes, but they have been held in de facto detention at the heavily guarded facility.
Forces of Syria’s central government captured the Al-Hol camp on Jan. 21 during a weekslong offensive against the SDF, which had been running the camp near the border with Iraq for a decade. A ceasefire deal has since ended the fighting.
Separately, thousands of accused IS militants who were held in detention centers in northeastern Syria have been transferred to Iraq to stand trial under an agreement with the US
The US military said Friday that it had completed the transfer of more than 5,700 adult male IS suspects from detention facilities in Syria to Iraqi custody.
Iraq’s National Center for International Judicial Cooperation said a total of 5,704 suspects from 61 countries who were affiliated with IS — most of them Syrian and Iraqi — were transferred from prisons in Syria. They are now being interrogated in Iraq.