Australia look to Smith again as England take charge of first Ashes Test

Steve Smith, who made 144 in the first innings, was 46 not out at close of play. (Reuters)
Updated 03 August 2019
Follow

Australia look to Smith again as England take charge of first Ashes Test

  • When bad light cut short the third day’s play, Australia were 124-3 in their second innings — a lead of just 34 runs
  • Travis Head was 21 not out, with the pair’s stand worth 49 runs

BIRMINGHAM: Australia were left hoping for another major innings from Steve Smith as England took charge of the first Ashes Test at Edgbaston on Saturday.
When bad light cut short the third day’s play, Australia were 124-3 in their second innings — a lead of just 34 runs.
Former captain Smith, who had made a superb 144 in the first innings of his first Test since completing a 12-month ban for his role in last year’s ball-tampering scandal in South Africa, was 46 not out.
Travis Head was 21 not out, with the pair’s stand worth 49 runs.
“We leaked a few too many (runs) tonight,” England’s Chris Woakes told Sky Sports.
“At the same time 34-3 is not a bad spot,” added the all-rounder, who earlier made a valuable 37 not out on his Warwickshire home ground.
“If we come back in the morning and get two wickets then 50-5 will be pretty good.”
Woakes, asked how Smith could be dismissed, replied: “Have you got any ideas? He is a world-class player and world-class players don’t make many mistakes. On a wicket like that you have to build pressure and hope they make a mistake.”
Australia will want to bat long enough to leave England with an awkward chase on a wearing pitch.
“Anything over 150 going into last day on this wicket (will be tough to get),” said Australia fast bowler James Pattinson.
Ashes-holders Australia, looking to win their first series away to England in 18 years, were in trouble at 27-2 after openers David Warner and Cameron Bancroft — also returning to Test duty after the ball-tampering scandal — both fell in single figures.
In a match full of overturned decisions, England had to review umpire Joel Wilson’s original not out verdict when Warner feathered a catch behind to wicketkeeper Jonny Bairstow to give Stuart Broad his 450th Test wicket.
It was an important blow for Broad, who took 5-86 in Australia’s first innings of 284, as new-ball partner James Anderson was absent with a calf injury that meant England’s all-time leading Test wicket-taker only bowled four overs first time around.
Birmingham-born off-spinner Moeen Ali then had Bancroft caught off bat and pad by Jos Buttler at short leg.
Smith’s arrival at the crease prompted a huge chorus of boos from England fans who earlier in the day had taunted him with chants of “Crying on the telly, we saw you crying on the telly” in a reference to the star batsman’s emotional press conference in Sydney after he was sent home from South Africa.
Usman Khawaja might have been out for 11 but Buttler, now in the slips, failed to hold a tough chance off Moeen.
Khawaja made an attractive 40 before the left-hander was undone by all-rounder Ben Stokes’s second ball, a superb delivery that cut back sharply to have him caught behind.
Australia were now 75-3, still 15 runs behind.
Smith, on 41, was struck on the side of the head by a Stokes bouncer after missing an intended pull, but was passed fit to bat on by Australia’s team doctor.
Soon afterwards, although the floodlights were on, the umpires decided it was too dark to continue and halted play shortly before heavy rain fell.
Earlier, England opener Rory Burns batted for nearly eight hours for 133 — his maiden Test hundred — in an innings of 374 featuring captain Joe Root’s 57 and vice-captain Stokes’s 50.
England lost three wickets for four runs to slump to 300-8 — a lead of just 16.
But a ninth-wicket partnership of 65 between Woakes and Broad (29) boosted their total.
England resumed on 267-4, with Burns 125 not out and Stokes 38 not out.
Off-spinner Nathan Lyon finally ended left-hander Burns’s marathon innings when a delivery that turned and bounced took the outside edge and was well caught by Australia captain and wicketkeeper Tim Paine.
Burns faced 312 balls, with 17 fours.
By contrast, new batsman Moeen lasted just five balls before he inexplicably shouldered arms to Lyon (3-112) and was clean bowled for a duck.


Tiger Woods opens door to Masters return, US Ryder Cup captaincy

Updated 18 February 2026
Follow

Tiger Woods opens door to Masters return, US Ryder Cup captaincy

  • Woods said Tuesday afternoon at the site of the Genesis Invitational at Rivera Country Club he wouldn’t rule out returning for the 2026 Masters in April

LOS ANGELES: Undaunted following a milestone birthday and a trio of recent major physical setbacks that have limited his ‌tournament schedule to a trickle, Tiger Woods believes he has plenty of game left.
Woods said Tuesday afternoon at the site of the Genesis Invitational at Rivera Country Club he wouldn’t rule out returning for the 2026 Masters in April.
“I’m trying. Put it that way,” the 50-year-old Woods said. “The disc replacement has been one thing. It’s been a challenge to — ​I’ve had a fused back and now a disc replacement, so it’s challenging.
“And now, I entered a new decade, so that number is starting to sink in and has us thinking about the opportunity to be able to play in a cart. That’s something that, as I said, I won’t do out here on (in PGA Tour events) because I don’t believe in it. But on the Champions Tour, that’s certainly (an) opportunity.”
In reality, Woods might be too busy to play tournament golf these days.
As the chair of the new Future Competitions Committee, Woods is heavily involved in what will be a new-look PGA Tour as early as the 2027 season, with a full roll out aimed for 2028. He revealed on Tuesday he was asked about his interest in being the United States captain for the 2027 Ryder Cup.
“Yeah, they have asked me for my input on it, and I haven’t made my decision yet,” Woods ‌said of the ‌Ryder Cup showdown against Europe that is set to be played in Ireland. “I’m trying to figure out ​what ‌we’re ⁠trying to ​do ⁠with our tour.
“That’s been driving me hours upon hours every day and trying to figure out if I can actually do our team, our Team USA and our players and everyone that’s going to be involved in the Ryder Cup, if I can do it justice with my time.”
This week, Woods’ main focus will be to welcome the field to the Genesis Invitational where he is the tournament host. While Riviera was the site of his first ever PGA Tour event, on a sponsor’s exemption at the Los Angeles Open in 1992 when he was 16, the Southern California native will not be playing this week.
But still could be on the course soon.
As for Augusta National, the 15-time major winner was asked if participating in the Masters was ruled out, Woods said “No.”
Future changes to the PGA Tour ⁠are not expected to move the Masters off its traditional spring window, but Woods said a myriad of ‌other options are being considered. The plan essentially will create a shorter tournament calendar while still improving ‌the product.
“Yeah, we’re going to get more top players playing and we’re going to make ​it more competitive,” Woods said. .”.. Having Brooks (Koepka) come back, having Patrick Reed play ‌as well as he is and committed to coming back to the tour, having Scottie (Scheffler) as dominant as he has been, and to have ‌Rory (McIlroy) complete the career grand slam, you have a lot of top players, but also you have a lot of youth that has come up.”
The current West Coast swing, which is the traditional start to the PGA Tour season, might cease to exist or be completely altered. Instead of starting the PGA Tour season in January, reports have indicated future seasons could start after the Super Bowl.
“Well, I think it’s trying to serve literally everyone, from the player side of it, from our media partners, from ‌all of our title sponsors, from the local communities or even changing venues and going to bigger markets,” Woods said. “It’s what do we need to do from a competitive model to make our tour ⁠the best product it can possibly be each ⁠and every year and still have room for development. How do we do all of that at the same time?“
This week’s tournament in the Los Angeles area could remain in its February window or move toward the end of the season in August and be a playoff venue.
“It’s been a lot of moving parts, but it’s been in sync,” Woods said. “We’ve had a lot of information thrown our way, which has been great. Everyone is working collaboratively together.”
Woods could even be a part of that future schedule as a player. He still has physical limitations from the shattered right leg that happened during a single-car crash in 2021, followed by an Achilles injury and disc replacement surgery in his back this past October.
Given his physical ailments, playing on the Champions Tour, which allows players to use a golf cart, is under consideration. Woods turned 50 just over a month ago, making him eligible for the Champions Tour.
“I’ve had a fused back and now a disc replacement, so it’s challenging,” Woods said. “And I entered a new decade, so that number is starting to sink in and has us thinking about the opportunity to be able to play in a cart. That’s something that, as I said, I ​won’t do out here on this tour because I don’t believe in ​it. But on the Champions Tour, that’s certainly that opportunity.”
He had no timetable on when a Champions Tour debut might take place. Woods is more content with turning back the clock this week.
“For me, that’s part of the neat thing about being here at (Riviera), being able to go back in time as a kid,” Woods ​said.