Dubai’s DIFC court orders Qatar’s beIN Sports to pay Saudi-based Selevision $8 million

The Dubai court found beIN SPORTS had been involved in serious legal irregularities, including breaches of its product distribution agreement and other licensing irregularities. (AFP/File Photo)
Updated 05 July 2019

Dubai’s DIFC court orders Qatar’s beIN Sports to pay Saudi-based Selevision $8 million

  • The court ruled the Qatari firm owed Selevision $8 million in compensation
  • It is the latest in a series of similar court decisions in the Arab world and across the globe against Qatar’s beIN Sport

JEDDAH/LONDON: Qatar-owned beIN Media Group is to pay more than SR30 million ($8 million) in compensation to the Saudi Selevision company after a ruling by the First Instance Court at the Dubai International Financial Center (DIFC). Arab News has received a copy of the court’s ruling.

The court rejected a lawsuit submitted by the beIN Media Group against Selevision, and ordered beIN media to pay compensation to Selevision of more than $7 million, in addition to the cost of arbitration of more than $600,000, as well as interest at an annual rate of 8 percent.

The beIN Sports group approached the court previously requesting the cancellation of an arbitration decision issued on June 5, 2018 at the London International Court of Arbitration at the DIFC, which ruled in favor of Selevision and ordered beIN Media Group to pay $7,356,01.22, in addition to arbitration costs of $692,002.66.

FAST FACTS

● The court ordered beIN media to pay compensation to Selevision of more than $7 million, in addition to the cost of arbitration, as well as interest.

● The ruling was issued as a result of the arbitration proceedings of the London International Court of Arbitration at the DIFC filed by Selevision.

The court’s ruling was issued as a result of the arbitration proceedings of the London International Court of Arbitration at the DIFC filed by Selevision against beIN Sports, which began on June 16, 2016. The two-day substantive session was held in Oman’s capital Muscat in September 2017.

As a result of the judgment of Judge Shamlan Al-Sawalhi in the Court of First Instance on June 20, 2019, beIN was ordered to pay compensation to Selevision within 30 days from the date of the judgment. The judge also annulled beIN’s motion to overturn the judgment.

Last month, the president of the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Paris court rejected beIN SPORTS allegations against the Arab Satellite Communications Organization (Arabsat), ordering that the media group pay fines of €6,000 ($6,770) to Arabsat’s adviser, as well as paying the prosecution costs of Arabsat (€25,000).

Welcoming the court’s decision, Arabsat said that it “greatly values and respects the integrity of the French judiciary, which has skillfully and professionally addressed the allegations of Qatar’s Al Jazeera subsidiary, beIN SPORTS.”


Thailand suspends TV station over protests coverage

Updated 20 October 2020

Thailand suspends TV station over protests coverage

  • Thailand said on Monday that three other media organizations are under investigation
  • Protests have only gained momentum since the government announced a ban last Thursday and arrested dozens of protesters

BANGKOK: A Thai court on Tuesday ordered the suspension of an online TV station critical of the government, which has accused it of violating emergency measures aimed at ending three months of protests.
Voice TV had also been found to have breached the Computer Crime Act by uploading “false information,” digital ministry spokesman Putchapong Nodthaisong told reporters.
Thailand has drawn criticism from rights groups for banning demonstrations and the publication of news seen as damaging by the government as it tries to end the protests against Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and the powerful monarchy.
Rittikorn Mahakhachabhorn, Editor-in-Chief of Voice TV, said it would continue broadcasting until the court order arrived.
“We insist that we have been operating based on journalistic principles and we will continue our work presently,” he said.
Thailand said on Monday that three other media organizations are under investigation.
Voice TV is owned in part by the Shinawatra family of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his sister Yingluck, who was overthrown by Prayuth in a 2014 coup. Both fled Thailand to escape corruption cases they branded political.
Street protests since mid-July are the biggest challenge in decades to the monarchy under King Maha Vajiralongkorn and to Prayuth, who rejects accusations of engineering an election last year to keep power.
The demonstrations have been largely led by youths and students in contrast with a decade of street violence between supporters of Thaksin and conservative royalists before Prayuth seized power.
Protests have only gained momentum since the government announced a ban last Thursday and arrested dozens of protesters, including many of the main leaders.
A lawyer for two of them, Parit “Penguin” Chiwarak and Panusaya “Rung” Sithijirawattanakul, said they would be arrested again on Tuesday as soon as they had been freed on bail granted by a court over earlier charges related to the protests.
Prime Minister Prayuth has said he will not quit in the face of the protests.
His cabinet agreed on Tuesday to hold an emergency session of parliament next week about the crisis. Prayuth’s supporters hold a majority in the parliament, whose upper house was named entirely by his former junta.