Scores of Afghans hurt in Taliban attack on Kabul base

Afghan security forces arrive at the site of an explosion in Kabul on Monday. (AP)
Updated 02 July 2019
Follow

Scores of Afghans hurt in Taliban attack on Kabul base

  • Assault comes as talks between group and US diplomats enters third day

KABUL: Scores of Afghans were wounded in an attack by Taliban insurgents on a security facility in Kabul on Monday. 

The powerful bomb in downtown Kabul killed at least six people and wounded more than a hundred, sending a cloud of smoke billowing over the Afghan capital. 

At least 26 children were among the wounded, many of whom were cut by shards of glass when the bomb shattered nearby windows, government spokesman Feroz Bashari said as quoted by The Associated Press. He said a total of 105 people were hurt.

The attack comes as talks between Taliban delegates and US diplomats enter a third day in Qatar, and follows weeks of air and ground offensives against the militants in various parts of the country.

The explosion carried out by a suicide bomber occurred outside a compound belonging to the Afghan Defense Ministry, less than a mile from the presidential palace.

A group of militants, consisting of suicide bombers and others armed with rocket propelled grenades, then entered the facility, sparking a gunbattle with police and security forces. Explosions could be heard as helicopters hovered above the area.

Wahidullah Mayar, spokesman for the Public Health Ministry, said 100 people, nine of them children, were hurt in the blast and subsequent clash. One person was confirmed dead.

“It (the explosion) was very powerful and was heard throughout the city,” Ahmad Shah, a resident living nearby, told Arab News.

“This clearly shows an intelligence failure,” said Mohammad Gul Mujahid, a security analyst.

The country’s chief executive, Dr. Abdullah Abdullah said the attack showcased the Taliban’s “inherent criminal nature.” He added the government would not be deterred “to pursue and punish the miscreants.” The incident coincides with the seventh round of talks between Taliban representatives and US officials in Doha.

Both the Taliban and Afghan forces, backed by US troops, have intensified fighting in recent months as part of an effort to gain an advantage in the negotiations.

The Taliban staged four suicide attacks on government buildings in southern Kandahar on Sunday, killing dozens of security forces and eight civilians.

In a statement, the US Embassy in Kabul condemned the Taliban’s latest “brutal attacks against fellow Afghans.”


France releases suspected Russia ‘shadow fleet’ tanker after fine

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

France releases suspected Russia ‘shadow fleet’ tanker after fine

  • The ship is suspected of being part of a shadow fleet that carries oil for countries such as Russia and Iran
  • “The tanker Grinch is leaving French waters after paying several million euros and enduring a costly three-week immobilization in Fos-sur-Mer,” Barrot said

MARSEILLE: France on Tuesday released a tanker called Grinch suspected of being part of Russia’s sanctions-busting “shadow fleet” after its owner paid a fine of several million euros, a minister said.
French forces and their allies boarded the oil tanker last month between Spain and Morocco after it started its journey in Russia. It was escorted to a port near the southern city of Marseille.
Ship tracking websites MarineTraffic and VesselFinder said the vessel had been flying a Comoros flag.
The ship is suspected of being part of a shadow fleet that carries oil for countries such as Russia and Iran in violation of US sanctions.
“The tanker Grinch is leaving French waters after paying several million euros and enduring a costly three-week immobilization in Fos-sur-Mer,” Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said on X.
Russia has reportedly built up a flotilla of old tankers of opaque ownership to get around sanctions imposed by the European Union, the United States and the G7 group of nations, over Moscow’s 2022 all-out invasion of Ukraine.
The sanctions, aimed at limiting Moscow’s revenues to pursue its war, have shut out many tankers carrying Russian oil from Western insurance and shipping systems.
“Evading European sanctions comes at a price. Russia will no longer be able to bankroll its war with impunity through a shadow fleet off our shores,” Barrot said.
The public prosecutor’s office and regional authorities said that, “as part of a guilty plea procedure, the company that owns the vessel was sentenced by the Marseille judicial court to a financial penalty.”
“The company, which has already taken numerous steps in this direction, has committed to obtaining a new flag as soon as possible,” they said in a joint statement, without adding where the owner was based.
A ship called Grinch is under UK sanctions, while another named Carl with the same registration number is sanctioned by the United States and European Union.
The boarding last month was the second of its kind in recent months.
France in September detained a Russian-linked ship called the Boracay, a vessel claiming to be flagged in Benin, a move Russian President Vladimir Putin condemned as “piracy.”
The Boracay’s Chinese captain is to stand trial in France next week.
The European Union lists 598 vessels suspected of being part of the “shadow fleet” that are banned from European ports and maritime services.