Federer loses to Thiem in Madrid Open quarter-finals

Austria’s Dominic Thiem and Switzerland’s Roger Federer shake hands after their quarter final match in Madrid on Friday. (Reuters)
Updated 11 May 2019
Follow

Federer loses to Thiem in Madrid Open quarter-finals

MADRID: Dominic Thiem saved two match points to defeat Roger Federer 3-6, 7-6 (13/11), 6-4 and reach the Madrid Open semifinals on Friday.
Austrian fifth seed and Barcelona champion Thiem will on Saturday play world number one Novak Djokovic who advanced on a walkover when opponent Marin Cilic withdrew with a stomach virus.
Federer, playing his first clay court event in three years, squandered two match points in the 15-minute second set tiebreak before Thiem levelled the tie on a sixth set point.
Meanwhile, Simona Halep closed in on a return to the top of the world rankings after beating Belinda Bencic 6-2, 6-7 (2/7), 6-0 to advance to the women’s final.
Halep, currently No. 3 in the world, will reclaim the number one ranking should she win her third title at the Caja Magica.
Bencic had defeated Halep in their last two matches, but the reigning French Open champion, who lifted the trophy in Madrid in 2016 and 2017, came through in just under two hours.
World number one and two-time Madrid champion Djokovic, meanwhile, walked into the semifinals when ninth seed Marin Cilic withdrew before their match with stomach problems.
“I am sorry to announce that I must withdraw from today’s match. I have had a terrible night dealing with a case of food poisoning,” wrote Cilic in a statement.
“I am extremely disappointed to have my time in Madrid end in this way. Thank you for the support.”
Halep awaits either Dutch seventh seed Kiki Bertens, a finalist in Madrid last year, or 2017 US Open champion Sloane Stephens.
“It’s such a nice feeling to be back in the final here. I really enjoy playing in Madrid, it motivates me,” Halep said.
The third seed comfortably claimed the opening set but let her game lapse slightly in the second.
Bencic, who opened the door for Halep to possibly return to the top of the world ranking with her quarter-final defeat of current No. 1 Naomi Osaka, took the tight second set of the match in a tiebreaker.
But Halep pulled herself together to blitz Bencic in the third and final set as she raced to a victory that increases her chances of returning to the top of the pile.
“I was rushing too much in the second-set tiebreaker,” Halep said. “I was missing too many easy balls — I lost control of that tiebreak.
“In the third, I just started over again, I played smarter, opening up the court and being more aggressive.”


Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed

  • After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10

ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.

From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.

The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.

In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.

Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.

This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.

Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.

Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”

“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.

“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”