Makkah Gov. inaugurates housing project for KAU teaching staff

Prince Khalid Al-Faisal launched the project. (SPA)
Updated 29 April 2019

Makkah Gov. inaugurates housing project for KAU teaching staff

  • Hundreds of villas will be built

JEDDAH: The governor of Makkah, Prince Khalid Al-Faisal, has launched a housing project for King Abdulaziz University (KAU) staff in the presence of Prince Mishaal bin Majed, the governor of Jeddah. 

Consisting of 780 villas covering a total area of 650,000 square meters, Prince Khalid said: “I only have one thing to say: Why do we always wish for what we can accomplish?”

After the launch ceremony, which featured readings of verses from the Qur’an, KAU Rector Prof. Abdul Rahman Al-Ayoubi gave a speech welcoming Prince Khalid, and thanking him for inaugurating the project. 

Al-Ayoubi said that in addition to the spacious villas, the project included lawns covering 55,000 square meters, three mosques, five sports centers and top-of-the-range infrastructure and services.

He expressed gratitude on behalf of the teaching staff at KAU for Prince Khalid’s sponsorship of the ceremony, and noted that the housing project would have a beneficial effect on employee’s mental health, as well as their social and domestic stability, which in turn would reflect on educational and research performance. He concluded by thanking King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for their continued dedication to improving the state of the Kingdom’s education system.

The audience watched a documentary about the project after Al-Ayoubi’s addess, before Prince Khalid and Prince Mishaal toured one of the villas.
 


Saudi forces intercept ballistic missiles over Riyadh and Jazan

Updated 6 min 22 sec ago

Saudi forces intercept ballistic missiles over Riyadh and Jazan

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s air defense forces shot down ballistic missiles toward Riyadh and the southern city of Jazan late on Saturday.

Col. Turki Al-Maliki, spokesperson for the Arab coalition helping Yemen's legitimate government, said the Royal Saudi Air Defense Forces intercepted and destroyed at 11:23 p.m. on Saturday two ballistic missiles over Riyadh.

At least one missile has also been intercepted over the southern city of Jazan, according to Al Arabiya sources.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were fired by the "Houthi terrorist militia" from Sanaa and Saada in Yemen toward civilian objects and civilians in the Kingdom.

Lt. Col. Mohammed Al-Hammadi, media spokesperson for the Civil Defense in the Riyadh region, said two civilians from separate neighborhoods in the capital were injured by falling debris from the intercepted missiles as they exploded in mid-air.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack, but Yemen’s Iran-aligned Houthi terrorists have previously targeted Riyadh and other Saudi cities with missiles, rockets and drones.

Three explosions were heard in the curfew-locked capital before midnight amid efforts to curb the coronavirus pandemic, residents said on social media.

It was the first major assault on Saudi Arabia since the Iran-backed Houthis offered last September to halt attacks on the Kingdom after devastating twin strikes on Saudi oil installations.