Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s first Child Protection Court inaugurated in Peshawar

1 / 8
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s first Child Protection Court was inaugurated in Peshawar on Saturday. (Supplied photo)
2 / 8
Peshawar High Court’s Registrar gave a detailed briefing to the media about the new court’s jurisdiction and responsibilities on Saturday, saying it would bring about a positive change in the lives of KP’s children. (Supplied photo)
3 / 8
In terms of its design and decoration, the facility looks more like a school than a typical Pakistani judicial facility. (Supplied photo)
4 / 8
5 / 8
To reduce psychological pressure on children, the administration of the court has tried to create a friendly environment. (Supplied photo)
6 / 8
The Child Protection Court has been designed in a way that it should provide a friendly environment to children. (Supplied photo)
7 / 8
Sixty-two juvenile cases were shifted to the court on the day of its inauguration. (Supplied photo)
8 / 8
Additional District and Sessions Judge Wadeeya Mushtaq Malik has been appointed as the presiding officer of the Child Protection Court. (Supplied photo)
Updated 17 March 2019
Follow

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s first Child Protection Court inaugurated in Peshawar

  • Child rights activists applaud the development
  • KP still needs juvenile prison facilities

PESHAWAR: Chief Justice Peshawar High Court Waqar Ahmad Seth inaugurated Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s first Child Protection Court at the city’s Judicial Complex on Saturday.

Under the province’s Child Protection and Welfare Act, 2010, and Federal Juvenile Justice System Act, 2018, the court will handle all kinds of issues related to children.

Addressing a news conference, the high court’s registrar, Khwaja Wajih-ud-Din, said that the new court would uphold the rights of children, help young people, and protect the properties of orphans.

“The Peshawar High Court has already requested the provincial administration to set up 34 Child Protection Courts in KP to provide speedy justice to children,” he informed, adding that 62 juvenile cases had already been shifted to the newly established court on the day of its inauguration.

In collaboration with a local non-governmental organization, Group Development Pakistan (GDP), and an international donor, UKAid, the management of the new facility has adorned courtrooms with cartoons and paintings.

Imran Takkar, a child rights activist, described the development as a landmark moment in KP’s history. “Instead of prisons, juveniles should be treated in segregated rehabilitation centers because education is the fundamental right of every child,” he said. “Almost 49 percent population of our country is below the age of 18. Hence, setting up child courts is necessary to ensure the well-being of a very large segment of our society.”

Valerie Khan, GDP’s chief executive, also advocated reformative and constructive approach while dealing with children.  “Even in cases where children violate any law, they should not be treated like common criminals,” she said. “It is everyone’s responsibility to work for the protection of children.”

The staff members of the Child Protection Court have also been trained to be sensitive while dealing with children. The facility’s management will also ensure that children do not come face to face with the offenders during a trial since that can put them under tremendous pressure.

“It is not just the duty of parents to take care of their children’s well-being. The state must also play a role to provide a friendly environment to children within and outside the courtroom,” Sharafat Ali, a lawyer, told Arab News.

However, Imran Takkar lamented there were still “no jails for children,” and about 500 juveniles were kept with hardened criminals in the province’s prison facilities.


Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Attack on paramilitary post in northwest Pakistan kills seven security personnel, child

  • Blast hits Frontier Corps checkpoint in Bajaur near Afghan border
  • Police recover bodies from rubble as rescue operation continues

ISLAMABAD: An attack on a paramilitary checkpoint in northwest Pakistan killed at least seven security personnel and a child on Monday, officials said, the latest in a series of attacks in a region bordering Afghanistan.

Pakistan has witnessed a steady rise in attacks in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province since the Taliban returned to power in Afghanistan in 2021, with most violence targeting police and security forces in former tribal districts along the border.

Islamabad says the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militant group has reorganized across the frontier and operates from safe havens inside Afghanistan, a charge Kabul rejects, insisting it does not allow its territory to be used against other countries.

The latest attack struck a Frontier Corps (FC) post in the Mamond area of Bajaur district, destroying a small compound where security personnel were stationed.

“We have recovered seven dead bodies, one of them police, and two injured from the debris while search for other bodies is underway,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Niaz Mohammad told Arab News, describing the compound as “a structure comprising four to five rooms.”

Rescue teams continued operations to locate anyone trapped beneath the rubble, officials said.

Police did not comment on the nature of the attack but a statement from the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister’s office described it as a suicide bombing and confirmed casualties among security personnel and a child.

“The martyrdom of security personnel and a child in the terrorist attack is extremely tragic,” the statement said, adding that emergency services had been instructed to speed up rescue efforts.

Authorities said operations against militants in the province would be intensified.

Districts along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan, including Bajaur and Bannu, have repeatedly been targeted in bombings and assaults on security checkpoints since a fragile ceasefire between Islamabad and the TTP collapsed in late 2022. Security forces continue to conduct intelligence-based operations in the region, but patrols and outposts remain frequent targets.