LAHORE: Whenever umpire Ahsan Raza looks at his scars from the deadly militant attack on Sri Lanka's cricket team in Lahore, 10 years ago on Sunday, he shudders.
Raza, 44, was lucky to survive the gun, grenade and rocket assault which changed not only his life, but also the landscape of cricket in Pakistan.
Raza, then a reserve umpire for the second Test, was on his way to the Gaddafi Stadium with other match officials when the team bus just a few yards ahead of them came under fire, killing eight police and bystanders and wounding six others.
Two bullets pierced his lungs and liver, and after emerging from a coma, it was nearly six months before Raza could walk again.
"My wounds have healed but whenever I look at them I remember the gruesome incident," Raza told AFP.
"Whenever someone mentions that incident I request him not to remind me of that tragedy."
The attack proved a heavy blow to cricket-loving Pakistan: international games were suspended in the country, and a decade later most foreign teams still refuse to tour.
With Pakistan playing their home series in the United Arab Emirates, the national cricket board estimates it has missed out on nearly $200 million in revenues.
Even the Pakistan Super League, a star-studded Twenty20 tournament, is mainly played in the UAE although it is gradually inching back to Pakistan by holding more games there each year.
After the attack on the Sri Lankan team, it was six years before Pakistan hosted any international cricket when minnows Zimbabwe toured in 2015.
Under heavy security, Gaddafi Stadium hosted the PSL final in March 2017, and a World XI also played three Twenty20 internationals in Lahore.
But the biggest event was Sri Lanka's return for a one-off Twenty20 international in October 2017 -- eight years after they were attacked and airlifted from the same stadium.
Fittingly Raza, who also officiated during the Zimbabwe series, was one of the on-field umpires in the Sri Lanka match.
"I was very emotional that day," he said. "To their credit PCB (Pakistan Cricket Board) has taken gradual steps and I am 100 percent confident that more foreign teams will come in the near future."
The West Indies also played three Twenty20 internationals in Karachi in last May
From next week eight PSL games will be held in Lahore and Karachi, including the March 17 final, with the PCB confirming the games will go ahead as planned despite escalating tensions over the fiercely disputed Kashmir border with India resulting in military skirmishes in recent days.
Former Pakistan captain Asif Iqbal believes hosting the PSL matches will gradually restore the confidence of foreign teams, but it has been a long, slow process and the major nations are still staying away.
"International cricket will return to Pakistan but it will be through a process which has already started with the holding of the final rounds of the PSL in the country and tours by the World XI, Sri Lanka and the West Indies," said Iqbal.
Last year, New Zealand refused to play a Twenty20 series in Pakistan, and in January, Australia turned down a request to visit for two one-day internationals.
However, the PCB is hopeful it will convince a major team to tour the country this year starting with Sri Lanka, who are scheduled to play two Tests against Pakistan in October.
"I have no doubt that Pakistan is safe. But there is a perception in people's mind, and players have to play in their comfort level so until they have that reassurance it won't be easy, but we are working on that," said PCB chairman Ehsan Mani last in an interview with website Cricnfo last October.
"More people we get from outside, whatever the level, a message goes back that how beautiful the country is and how good people are. So people go back with a good perception, it sends a soft image of the country, and I believe this will work to bring back cricket to Pakistan."
10 years on, Pakistan still reeling from notorious cricket attack
10 years on, Pakistan still reeling from notorious cricket attack
- Militant attack on Sri Lanka's cricket team in Lahore in 2009
- PCB estimates it has missed out on nearly $200 million in revenues
Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup 2027 dates confirmed
- After a record-breaking tournament in January, the competition returns next year from Jan. 8-10
ABU DHABI: The Manchester City Abu Dhabi Cup will return in 2027 following another record-breaking edition last month, and the registration window is now open.
From Jan. 8 to 10, 2027, teams from across the world will be able to compete in the eighth edition of the region’s Tournament of Choice.
The competition’s three-day format returns after a successful expansion this year that had more than 8,000 people attend Zayed Sports City across a weekend that featured 3,500 local, regional and international players.
In total, 244 teams from the under-8 to under-16 categories competed in the 2026 edition, with 86 international sides, spanning 18 countries, four continents, and a record-breaking 44 girl teams.
Off the pitch, players and spectators were able to enjoy the City Village that played host to entertainment and activations supported by the club’s partners.
This included the e& Gaming Zone, Puma pop-up and Aldar’s showcase of Fahid Island, as well as performances from a DJ and visits from special guests, including tournament ambassador and Manchester City legend Nedum Onuoha, and event host FG.
Teams will compete for the Abu Dhabi Cup, and individual age-group winners will go into a prize draw for their team to win a trip to a City Football Group club, where they will train and watch the first team in action.
Simon Hewitt, tournament director, and director of Football Operations MENA, said the 2026 edition was a “landmark event.”
“It was the first time we had expanded the tournament to three days, and the reaction to that decision was incredible. Players were able to spend more time on the pitch, take in the incredible atmosphere of the City Village, and enjoy the sights and attractions of Abu Dhabi.
“We might only be a month removed from that tournament, but the hard work in preparing for 2027 starts now. Already, teams are asking when they can register, and we expect huge competition for places from all over the world.”










