Pakistan takes control of Jaish ‘headquarters’ in Bahawalpur

Punjab Police is providing security and protection to the campus, announced the Ministry of Interior on Friday. (AFP)
Updated 22 February 2019
Follow

Pakistan takes control of Jaish ‘headquarters’ in Bahawalpur

  • Government appointed an administrator to manage the affairs of the campus, Interior Ministry says
  • Punjab police is providing security and protection to the campus

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s ministry of interior said on Friday the government of Punjab province had taken control of a seminary and a mosque in Bahawalpur believed to be the headquarters of the Jaish-e-Muhammad militant group.

Last week, the group took responsibility for an attack on an Indian convoy in the disputed Kashmir region in which at least 40 troopers were killed. Jaish was blacklisted by the United Nations in 2001, which tied it to al Qaeda, and accused it of participating in the financing, planning, facilitating, preparing or perpetrating of al Qaeda acts.

"The Government of Punjab has taken over the control of a campus comprising Madressatul Sabir and Jama-e-Masjid Subhanallah in Bahawalpur, reportedly the headquarters of Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), and appointed an administrator to manage its affairs," the ministry of interior spokesman said in a statement.

The statement said action was taken as per the decision of the National Security Committee (NSC) meeting chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday.

“The campus has a faculty of 70 teachers and currently 600 students were studying in it. Punjab police is providing security and protection to the campus,” the statement read.

Tensions between nuclear-armed arch-rivals Pakistan and India have sharply escalated since the February 14 attack in Indian-administered Kashmir. New Delhi says Islamabad is not doing enough to stop militant groups using its territory to launch attacks on India. Pakistan denies any complicity.


Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

Updated 21 February 2026
Follow

Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi

  • Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
  • Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month

ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.

The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.

Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.

Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.

“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.

Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.

“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.

The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.

Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.

The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.

Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.

“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”

Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.