French ‘yellow vests’ march through Paris denouncing police violence

Members of the French "yellow vests" movement wave French flags as they attend a demonstration against police violence, at a demonstration in Paris, France, February 2, 2019. Sign reads, "Emmanuel Macron - look at your Rolex - It's the time of Revolt". (Reuters)
Updated 03 February 2019
Follow

French ‘yellow vests’ march through Paris denouncing police violence

  • France’s Council of State has ruled Friday that security forces have a right to use controversial high-velocity rubber ball launchers for crowd control
  • The government says around 2,000 people have been injured in protests since the movement began Nov. 17

PARIS: Several thousand "yellow vest" protesters marched through Paris and other French cities on Saturday on the 12th weekend of action against the government despite opinion polls pointing to a recovery in President Emmanuel Macron's popularity.
The protests - named after the fluorescent jackets French motorists are required to carry in their cars - began in mid-November over plans to raise fuel taxes before developing into a broader revolt against the government that mobilised tens of thousands of demonstrators nationwide each Saturday.
The government warned on Friday police would not hesitate to use flashballs in case of violence by demonstrators after it was authorised by France's highest administrative court.
Protesters on Saturday paid homage to those injured in the past months, denouncing the use of flashball riot control guns banned in much of Europe.
About 1,000 police officers have been injured along with 1,700 demonstrators since the start of the protests, according to official figures.
"It's true that this intermediate weapon can hurt, but faced with rioters, the police need it to defend themselves against those who attack them," said Interior Minister Christophe Castaner.
Opinion polls show a recovery in Macron's battered popularity rating after he launched consultations, including townhall debates, to try to quell social unrest.
A Harris Interactive poll of 1,000 people on Friday showed Macron gaining 4 percentage points since December taking him to a 35 percent approval rating.
As in previous weeks, protesters on Saturday carried French flags and held signs attacking Macron as out of touch or calling for referendums tabled by citizens.
Protesters injured in previous weeks of violence were put at the front of the protests with some wearing eye patches with a target sign on them.
In Valance in the south of France, the mayor said measures had been taken to prepare for about 10,000 demonstrators. Authorities fear about 10 percent of those could be violent rioters.
The Interior Ministry said 80,000 security officials had been mobilised, including 5,000 in Paris.


New Zealand floods kill one, leave thousands without power

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

New Zealand floods kill one, leave thousands without power

WELLINGTON: Heavy rains and strong winds have lashed New Zealand in recent days, killing one man, flooding large areas and cutting off several communities, authorities said.
The severe storm since Friday has prompted a state of emergency in North Island, where the Waikato Regional Council said “one in 100 year” rainfall had caused widespread flooding.
Police said a man died on Friday after the car he was driving was trapped in flood waters near North Island’s Otorohanga.
The storm has continued down the country, reaching the capital Wellington on Monday before moving toward Christchurch in the South Island on Tuesday.
Energy operator PowerCo. said about 10,000 households were without power in the lower North Island on Tuesday, while another electricity company, Orion, said more than 200 households were without power on Banks Peninsula outside Christchurch.
Near Wellington, Wairarapa township Lake Ferry had been cut off after the only road access to the town was washed out.
National broadcaster RNZ reported residents were forming a human chain to pass supplies across a washed out bridge.
The town of Akaroa outside Christchurch was also isolated on Tuesday due to flooding and slips on the highway leading to it, the New Zealand Transport Agency said.
National meteorological agency MetService said winds that struck Wellington on Monday were the strongest since 2013.
Wind gusts of 193 kilometers (120 miles) per hour were recorded in the city, MetService said.