Houthis open fire on UN bomb safety team in Yemen

Houthi militants attacked members of the United Nations, Yemeni government liaison officers and an engineering team responsible for surveying and demining areas. (File/AFP)
Updated 31 January 2019
Follow

Houthis open fire on UN bomb safety team in Yemen

  • Houthi militants attacked members of the United Nations, Yemeni government liaison officers and an engineering team responsible for surveying and demining areas
  • A government spokesman explained that the liaison officer waited for the UN delegate to enter the Red Sea Mills, but the Houthi militia refused to allow the road to be opened

JEDDAH: Iran-backed Houthi militias in Yemen have attacked an explosives safety team who were on their way to clear land mines from a vital food store in the Red Sea port city of Hodeidah.

The Houthis opened fire on the UN-backed demining team on Wednesday while the safety experts were trying to clear access to grain silos in the Red Sea Mills in the city.

Yemeni government spokesman Rajeh Badi said the Houthis attacked UN liaison officers belonging to the Yemeni government and an engineering team, preventing the team from reaching the silos.

The World Food Programme has been unable to gain access to the grain store since September. More than 50,000 tons of UN wheat is stored there, enough to feed 3.7 million people for a month.

The grain storage silos are at a frontline flashpoint on the eastern outskirts of the city. Last week, two silos were damaged by fire caused by Houthi mortar shelling.

Yemeni Prime Minister Moeen Abdelmalek said on Wednesday it was important to exert more efforts to improve the administrative and financial conditions in security and health services, and to focus on humanitarian aid and relief. 

He said the government was finalizing  procedures for the payment of administrative staff salaries, and working on the operating budgets for local authority offices.

The prime minister said a specialized operations room in the interim capital of Aden would  raise the level of coordination and communication between ministries.


Syria welcomes Canada’s decision to amend sanctions

Syria’s Central Bank governor, Abdulkader Husarieh. (SANA)
Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Syria welcomes Canada’s decision to amend sanctions

  • Husarieh said the decision could pave the way for Canadian participation in Syria’s reconstruction and infrastructure development

DAMSCUS: Syria’s Central Bank governor, Abdulkader Husarieh, commended the Canadian government’s decision to amend the sanctions imposed on Damascus under the Special Economic Measures Regulations, including the lifting of the comprehensive economic embargo in place since May 2011.
In a post published on his personal Facebook page, Husarieh described the move as an important milestone that reinforces the implementation of understandings reached during his recent visit to Canada.
He added that the amendment provides an opportunity to boost economic relations and activate cooperation between Canadian and Syrian banks and financial institutions.
Husarieh said the decision could pave the way for Canadian participation in Syria’s reconstruction and infrastructure development.
Meanwhile, the Syrian Arab Red Crescent and the Turkish Red Crescent signed cooperation agreements on Friday to strengthen humanitarian efforts in Syria amid ongoing crises and economic hardship.
Syrian Arab Red Crescent President Hazem Bakleh met in Damascus with Alper Kucuk, the Turkish Red Crescent’s director general for international affairs and migration services, to discuss rising humanitarian needs and ways to enhance coordination in support of vulnerable communities.
According to a statement released by the Syrian organization, the agreement provides for expanding relief and service activities.
It includes support for the construction of a new Red Crescent branch headquarters in Idlib province and the launch of a project to distribute hot meals and bread in Damascus and Aleppo during the holy month of Ramadan.
The Syrian Arab Red Crescent has sought to broaden partnerships with regional and international organizations in recent years to strengthen its operational capacity across multiple provinces, as the country continues to face economic strain and humanitarian challenges affecting large segments of the population.