ECP announces share of tribal districts in KP Assembly

ECP announced the number of seats allocated to Pakistan’s tribal districts in the KP Assembly on Wednesday. (Photo credit: Radio Pakistan)
Updated 02 January 2019
Follow

ECP announces share of tribal districts in KP Assembly

  • Pakistan announced the KP-FATA merger after fighting a major war in the area
  • ECP’s decision is grounded in the last population census in the country

ISLAMABAD: The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) specified on Wednesday the number of seats allocated to the country’s tribal districts and frontier regions in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) Assembly.

The decision was taken on the basis of the recent population census in Pakistan that was conducted in 2017.

Located in the northwest of the country, the tribal region witnessed a lot of militant violence since the international forces occupied Afghanistan in the wake of the September 11 attacks in the United States.

Consequently, Pakistani forces had to launch a string of clear-and-hold military operations to flush out the insurgent groups from the area and destroy their militant training camps along with their communication and logistical facilities.

After restoring some stability in the tribal belt, the country decided to mainstream the region and its population by announcing its merger with the province of KP.

However, this required several administrative and political initiatives, one of which was taken by the ECP on Wednesday when it notified the amended number of seats in the provincial assembly.

According to ECP’s announcement, Bajaur and Khyber tribal districts have been awarded three seats each in KP’s provincial setup, while Mohmand, Kurram, North and South Waziristan districts have each been given two seats. Orakzai is the only tribal district – along with the frontier regions – that has got only one seat in the assembly.


Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Babar Azam dropped for scoring too slowly, says Pakistan coach Hesson

  • Shaheen Shah Afridi was left out after conceding 101 runs in three matches
  • Pakistan will now face New Zealand in the opening match of the second phase

COLOMBO: Batting great Babar Azam was dropped for Pakistan’s final T20 World Cup group game against Namibia for scoring too slowly, said head coach Mike Hesson on Friday.

Azam, who is the highest run-scorer in T20 international history with 4,571 runs, was left out for the must-win game against Namibia as Pakistan racked up 199-3 and secured a place in the Super Eights by 102 runs.

The 2009 champions face New Zealand in Colombo on Saturday in the opening match of the second phase.

“I think Babar is well aware that his strike rate in the power play in the World Cup is less than 100 and that’s clearly not the role we think we need,” Hesson told reporters after Pakistan’s final practice session on Friday was washed out by rain.

Pakistan left out Azam for the same reason at last year’s Asia Cup and even after dismal showing in the Big Bash League, he was still selected for the T20 World Cup.

“We brought Babar back in for a specific role post the Asia Cup,” said Hesson.

“We’ve got plenty of other options who can come in and perform that role toward the end.

“Babar is actually the first to acknowledge that.

“He knows that he’s got a certain set of skills that the team requires and there are certain times where other players can perform that role more efficiently.”

Hesson also defended dropping pace spearhead Shaheen Shah Afridi after he conceded 101 runs in three matches, including 31 in two overs against India.

“We made a call that Salman Mirza was coming in for Shaheen, and he bowled incredibly well,” said Hesson.

“To be fair, he was probably really unlucky to not be playing the second and third games.”

Hesson was wary of Pakistan’s opponents on Saturday.

“New Zealand have played a huge amount in the subcontinent in recent times so we have to play at our best.”