Threat level raised on deadly Indonesia volcano

1 / 4
This aerial shot taken on Sunday, Dec. 23, 2018 shows Mount Anak Krakatau as it erupts on Java Strait, Indonesia. (AP)
2 / 4
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman of Indonesia's Mitigation and Disaster Agency (BNPB), holds a news conference to brief on the latest situation after a tsunami hit the Sunda Strait, at the BNPB headquarters in Jakarta, Indonesia, December 25, 2018. (REUTERS)
3 / 4
This photo taken on December 26, 2018 shows the Anak Krakatoa volcano erupting, as seen from a ship on the Sunda Straits. (AFP)
4 / 4
Locals look at a collapsed bridge in Lebak, Banten, Indonesia, December 26, 2018 in this photo taken by Antara Foto. (Reuters)
Updated 28 December 2018
Follow

Threat level raised on deadly Indonesia volcano

  • Flights rerouted and no-go zone extended after Indonesia’s Anak Krakatau spews volcanic ash
  • Tsunami leaves 430 people dead and 20,000 homeless

JAKARTA: Indonesian authorities have raised the danger level on a volcano that killed hundreds of people when it triggered a deadly tsunami on Saturday.

Anak Krakatau was spewing ash clouds on Thursday when authorities raised the danger rating to high alert, the second-highest warning level.

Flights around the volcano were rerouted and the previous 2 km exclusion zone was extended to 5 km.

“The volcano shot ash clouds up to 2.5 km high this afternoon. It was higher than usual,” Kristianto, head of western region volcanic mitigation at the Center for Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation, told Arab News.

“We raised the alert status to stop people approaching the volcano,” he said.

The local populace has been told to stay at least 1 km away from the coastline in areas affected by the tsunami, which killed more than 430 people and left more than 20,000 homeless.

Authorities raised the danger level following reports that volcanic ash had fallen on Cilegon and Serang, two industrial towns in Banten province, about 80 km northeast of the crater.

Kristianto said the volcano rumbled back to life in June, but the prevailing winds had carried its plumes of hot ash over the Indian Ocean instead of urban areas in the province.

I Ketut Sukerta, head of the regional disaster mitigation agency in Lampung Selatan, told Arab News that explosions from the eruptions could be heard by communities living in Rajabasa and Kalianda, coastal areas that face the volcanic island.

People who had fled to higher ground on Sebesi, the closest inhabited island to the volcano, had been moved to the mainland in Lampung province, he said.

“We just evacuated 500 people from the island, making a total of about 2,000. We estimate there are still about 1,000 people remaining there,” Sukerta said.

The tsunami on Saturday was triggered when a section of the volcano’s southwestern flank collapsed into the sea, setting off a 4-meter wave that swept up to 500 meters inland on both sides of the Sunda Strait.

Flights over the volcano have been rerouted, but Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, 136 km east of the volcano, and Radin Inten II airport in Bandar Lampung, 100 km north of the volcano, remain open.

Mount Anak Krakatau, or Child of Krakatau, emerged from the sea in 1927 after a massive eruption in 1883 generated a 30-meter tsunami that killed 36,000 people. The volcanic island now stands 380 meters above sea level.


Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa with relations frayed

JOHANNESBURG: A conservative media critic picked by President Donald Trump to be US ambassador to South Africa has arrived to take up his post, the US embassy said Tuesday, as relations between the countries remain fraught.
Brent Bozell’s arrival has been keenly awaited with ties between South Africa and the United States becoming increasingly strained after Trump returned to office in January 2025.
“I’m confirming that he’s in country,” a US embassy official told AFP. Trump’s new envoy arrives in South Africa to frayed relations
Trump announced that he had chosen Bozell for the job in March, soon after expelling South Africa’s ambassador on accusations that he was critical of Washington. Pretoria has yet to announce a successor.
Trump said at the time that Bozell “brings fearless tenacity, extraordinary experience, and vast knowledge to a nation that desperately needs it.”
The ambassador-designate still needs to present his credentials to President Cyril Ramaphosa before officially taking up his post.
The embassy and South Africa’s foreign ministry could not say when this would happen.
Bozell, 70, is founder of the Media Research Center, a non-profit that says it works to “expose and counter the leftist bias of the national news media.”
One of the several sticking points between Washington and Pretoria is South Africa’s genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice.
Bozell is reported to be a strong defender of Israel. Pretoria expelled Israel’s top diplomat last month, citing a “series of violations.”
The Trump administration boycotted South Africa’s G20 in Johannesburg last year and has not invited the nation to its own hosting of the group of leading economies this year.
The United States is South Africa’s second-biggest trading partner by country after China.
The previous ambassador, Reuben Brigety, resigned in November 2024, just before Trump took office.