BENGHAZI, Libya: Dozens of Libyans protested on Tuesday against a US air strike on suspected Al-Qaeda militants in the country’s southwestern desert, saying civilians had been targeted, witnesses said.
The US Africa Command (Africom) on Thursday said it had killed 11 Al-Qaeda militants near the town of al Uwaynat in its third strike since March on the militant group’s North African branch — Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM).
The strike close to the Algerian border, destroyed three vehicles, Africom had said in its statement last week, adding that at the time, they had assessed “no civilians were injured or killed.”
Members of the ethnic Tuareg tribe living in the area staged a protest on Tuesday, calling on the Tripoli-based government to launch an investigation into the strike.
The protesters, among them women and children, held up pamphlets saying “Africom attacked civilians,” and “Africom is killing our sons,” witnesses and participants told Reuters.
Militants linked to Al-Qaeda and Daesh have sought refuge in Libya’s vast southern desert as the country struggles to restore stability seven years after the uprising that toppled Muammar Qaddafi.
Libyans protest against US air strike in southern Libya
Libyans protest against US air strike in southern Libya
Iran and US diverge in views on sanctions relief, senior Iranian official to Reuters
- Renewed talks scheduled in early March and could possibly lead to an interim deal
DUBAI: Iran and the US have differing views over the scope and mechanism to lift sanctions on Tehran in exchange for curbs on its nuclear program, a senior Iranian official told Reuters on Sunday, adding that renewed talks were scheduled in early March and could possibly lead to an interim deal.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.









