Xi visits Philippines as China, US wrangle for supremacy

Xi Jinping recently attended the APEC CEO Summit in Papua New Guinea. (File/AFP)
Updated 20 November 2018
Follow

Xi visits Philippines as China, US wrangle for supremacy

  • Chinese investments in the Philippines surged more than five-fold in the first six months of the year after a 67 percent expansion last year
  • China subsequently pledged $24 billion in loans and investments, but just a tiny portion has come through

MANILA: Chinese President Xi Jinping arrives in the Philippines Tuesday for his first state visit to the country, a traditional US ally that is a key prize as Beijing and Washington jostle for supremacy in the Pacific.
China won a windfall partner with the 2016 election of President Rodrigo Duterte, who has rattled the Philippines’ century-old bond with the US while courting trade and investment from the rising American rival.
Manila has said it hopes the two-day stopover, the first from a Chinese president in 13 years, will finally net signed deals for investment in major infrastructure projects promised by Beijing when Duterte visited two years ago.
China has dispersed tens of billions of dollars in loans since 2013 as it expands its political influence globally, countering the American hegemony that characterised the post-World War II order, especially in Asia.
However, even before Xi’s expected arrival Tuesday afternoon, hundreds of protesters descended on the Chinese embassy to voice opposition to closer ties with Beijing.
“Philippines is not for sale,” the marchers chanted, as some brandished signs saying “China out of Philippine waters” in reference to a long-running dispute over the South China Sea.
Duterte has enthusiastically embraced Xi, even setting aside a key 2016 ruling from an international tribunal that declared as without basis Beijing’s expansive claim over the waterway.
At the same time, the mercurial leader has declared an end to what he characterised as the Philippines’ submissive relationship with the US, even calling then-US president Barack Obama a “son of a whore.”
But relations have been warmer since Donald Trump became US president and dropped American criticism of Duterte’s anti-drug crackdown that has killed thousands.
The dispute over the resource-rich South China Sea, a key transit route for billions in trade, led to a freeze in Manila-Beijing relations, which thawed with Duterte’s pivot.

China subsequently pledged $24 billion in loans and investments, but just a tiny portion has come through, prompting critics to say Duterte was tricked.
Meanwhile, others have warned of a “debt trap” citing China’s lending record with the rest of the developing world.
Filipino analyst Richard Heydarian said China’s pledges induced Manila to “soft-pedal” on the South China Sea issue, but Beijing failed to hold up its end of the bargain.
“We know there was a geopolitical calculation,” he told AFP. “What is the incentive to rush if Duterte has been giving them whatever they want?“
Filipino Budget Secretary Benjamin Diokno conceded last week the delays were partly due to China’s unfamiliarity with the Philippine bidding process on big infrastructure projects, but didn’t hide his wish for things to accelerate.
“The visit of the head of state of China will put pressure on the team (in Beijing),” Diokno added.
Gregory Wyatt, director for business intelligence at PSA Philippines Consultancy, said big projects face many barriers in the Philippines, like right of way issues, regulatory approvals and political dissent.
“The foreign investment has come, the infrastructure loans have not,” he added.
Chinese investments in the Philippines surged more than five-fold in the first six months of the year after a 67 percent expansion last year, Foreign Minister Wang Yi said during a Manila visit last month.
Two-way trade also topped 10 percent over both periods, he added.
Chinese investors poured money into online gaming, real estate, service providers and stakes in existing Filipino firms, but not into large-scale infrastructure or manufacturing, Wyatt said.
While there was support in government for the latter, “that doesn’t mean that every bureaucrat, local politician, and the general public enthusiastically jumps on board,” Wyatt said.


Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

Britain's Prime Minister Keir Starmer takes part in a panel discussion in Munich, Germany. (AP file photo)
Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Britain needs to step up defense spending faster, says Starmer

  • Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30

LONDON: Britain should step up and accelerate its ​defense spending, Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Monday, following a report that the government was considering bringing forward its target to spend 3 percent of economic output on defense.
Britain, which has warned of the risks posed by Russia, said in February 2025 that it would lift annual defense spending to 2.5 percent of the GDP by 2027 and aim for 3 percent in the next Parliament, which is expected to begin after an ‌election due in ‌2029.
The BBC reported that the government was ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029. It said no decision had been taken but the government recognized current plans would not cover rising defense costs.

HIGHLIGHT

The BBC reported that the government is ​now ‌exploring ways to ​reach the 3 percent target by 2029.

Asked whether he would bring the target forward to 2029, Starmer echoed comments he made at the Munich Security Conference, where he said Europe had united to support Ukraine with the supply of weapons and munitions and to strengthen military readiness.
“We need to step up. That means on ‌defense spending, we need to go faster,” ‌Starmer told reporters on Monday. “We’ve obviously made commitments ​already in relation to that, but ‌it goes beyond just how much you spend.”
Latest NATO estimates show ‌that Britain spent 2.3 percent of the GDP on defense in 2024, above the alliance’s 2 percent guideline. But like other European countries, it has faced US pressure to spend more to protect the continent. Struggling with high debt and spending commitments, the government last ‌year cut its international aid budget to fund the hike in defense spending to 2.5 percent of GDP but is yet to publish an investment plan with spending priorities, something that has frustrated the defense industry.
Britain’s budget watchdog, the Office for Budget Responsibility, said last year that raising defense spending to 3 percent of the GDP would cost an additional £17.3 billion a year ($24 billion) in 2029-30.
Finance Minister Rachel Reeves has struggled to stay on track with her plans to repair the public finances. The BBC said the Finance Ministry was believed to be cautious about the new defense spending proposals.
A government spokesperson said Britain was “delivering ​the largest sustained increase in defense ​spending since the Cold War.”