Iranian FA warned new law is putting country's Asian Cup place at risk

The Asian Football Confederation president Sheikh Salman bin Ibrahim Al-Khalifa of Bahrain. (AFC)
Updated 13 November 2018
Follow

Iranian FA warned new law is putting country's Asian Cup place at risk

  • Asian Football Confederation says it is “closely monitoring the current issues”
  • Iran’s parliament announced a law designating the (soccer federation) as a non-government public body

KUALA LUMPUR: Iran has been told it could face suspension from the Asian Cup in January over a law interfering in the national soccer federation’s independence.
The Asian Football Confederation says it is “closely monitoring the current issues” with its top-ranked team, and will not tolerate “third-party interference in their member associations.”
The Malaysia-based AFC says Iran’s parliament announced a law “designating the (soccer federation) as a non-government public body and prohibiting the engagement of retired personnel.”
The AFC says it hopes Iran’s soccer body “can maintain its independence and avoid any sanctions” less than two months before the Asian Cup starts in the United Arab Emirates.
Iran, the best Asian team at No. 30 in FIFA’s rankings, plays its opening game Jan. 7 against Yemen in Abu Dhabi. The group includes Iraq and Vietnam.


Badosa slams online ‘disrespect’ after Dubai injury retirement

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Badosa slams online ‘disrespect’ after Dubai injury retirement

  • She took to social media to ‌hit back ‌at an individual who said she disrespected the game
  • “You ​have ‌no ⁠idea what ​it’s ⁠like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going,” Badosa wrote
DUBAI:Paula Badosa lashed out on Wednesday ‌at a “disrespectful” comment online and vowed to prolong her injury-hit career after a right thigh issue forced the former world number two to retire from her match at the already depleted Dubai Tennis ​Championships.
The Spaniard had worked her way back into the top 10 in the world last year with strong displays after a string of injuries, including a chronic back problem, left her contemplating early retirement in 2024.
Badosa went up 4-1 against Elina Svitolina in her second round match in Dubai on Tuesday, but lost the next five games and dropped the first set, before the 28-year-old called for treatment and then decided to throw in the towel.
She later took to social media to ‌hit back ‌at an individual who said she disrespected the game.
“You ​have ‌no ⁠idea what ​it’s ⁠like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going,” Badosa wrote.
“To wake up everyday not knowing how your body will respond, searching for solutions, and fighting for something you love and give everything even when it’s so difficult.”
Badosa said she faced “endless nightmares” while trying to find lasting solutions, but being able to step onto the tennis court was worth the trouble.
“So I’ll keep trying,” she said.
“Because it’s all ⁠about trying and that won’t change. I’ll always try one ‌more time. I’m doing this for my passion ... ‌If there’s even a 1 percent chance to keep going, ​I’ll take it. That’s just how I ‌see and understand life.”
WIDER DEBATE
Badosa’s comments reignited a wider debate on players having ‌to deal with hurtful social media comments.
“For me the only disrespect here is to open social media and read messages like this,” Badosa added.
“Then we complain if we see players suffering and having mental health issues, but I’m not surprised with the amount of hate and ‘experts’ ‌we have here.”
The WTA told Reuters that protecting players and the wider tennis family from vile online threats and abuse ⁠remained a high ⁠priority for the governing body of the women’s game.
Australia’s Destanee Aiava said last week that she would quit the sport this year, describing tennis culture as “racist, misogynistic, homophobic and hostile” as she highlighted the online negativity she had received.
Several women’s players have spoken about similar issues, with Svitolina saying she received death threats following her Canadian Open defeat last season, blaming the “shameful” behavior on disgruntled bettors.
Angry gamblers were responsible for 40 percent of the detected abuse at players, a survey by the WTA and the International Tennis Federation published last year revealed.
“I’d say it’s not just betting, it’s overall cyberbullying all the time,” world number six Amanda Anisimova said.
“Commenting on ​everything, like my body all the ​time, every single day. It’s difficult.
“I don’t think that people realize the extent of it, how much of an effect it can have on someone.”