Former Philippine first lady Imelda Marcos convicted of graft, arrest ordered

The anti-graft Sandiganbayan court sentenced former first lady Imelda Marcos to serve 6 to 11 years in prison for each of the seven counts for violating an anti-corruption law. (AFP)
Updated 09 November 2018

Former Philippine first lady Imelda Marcos convicted of graft, arrest ordered

MANILA, Philippines: A Philippine court has found former first lady Imelda Marcos guilty of graft and ordered her arrest in a rare conviction among many corruption cases that she’s likely to appeal to avoid jail and losing her seat in Congress.
The anti-graft Sandiganbayan court sentenced the 89-year-old Marcos to serve 6 to 11 years in prison for each of the seven counts for violating an anti-corruption law when she illegally funneled about $200 million to Swiss foundations in the 1970s.
Neither Marcos nor anyone representing her attended Friday’s court hearing.
The court disqualified Marcos from holding public office but she can remain a member of the powerful House of Representatives while appealing the decision.
Her husband, Ferdinand Marcos, was ousted by a “people power” revolt in 1986 and died in 1989.


Philippines coronavirus testing to be stepped up soon: WHO

Updated 31 March 2020

Philippines coronavirus testing to be stepped up soon: WHO

  • The coronavirus death toll in the Philippines rose to 78 on Monday
  • WHO said it expects testing to substantially increasing in the coming days

MANILA: Coronavirus testing is expected to increase substantially in coming days in the Philippines, where the high number of deaths relative to confirmed cases reflects lower testing so far, a World Health Organization official said on Tuesday.
The coronavirus death toll in the Philippines rose to 78 on Monday — the second highest in Southeast Asia outside Indonesia — with 1,546 reported infections.
“With respect to the high proportion of deaths in the Philippines, that’s essentially because of the way Philippines has chosen to test,” WHO technical adviser Matthew Griffith told a news conference, referring to the focus on testing only the most severe cases until now.
“We expect the testing to increase substantially in the coming days.”