As 7 Filipinos in Nigeria freed, 10 kidnapped in Gulf of Guinea

Massoel Shipping's bulk carrier MV Glarus. (Photo courtesy: PopeyeNet/shipspotting.com)
Updated 01 November 2018
Follow

As 7 Filipinos in Nigeria freed, 10 kidnapped in Gulf of Guinea

  • Philippine foreign ministry says the new victims were among a multinational crews seized from two tankers seized off Equatorial Giunea
  • In the first half of 2018, 35 seafarers were kidnapped for ransom in the region, say reports

MANILA: After seven abducted Filipino seafarers were freed in Nigeria, 10 others have been kidnapped in the Gulf of Guinea.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said it has received information that 10 Filipino seafarers are in the hands of suspected pirates who hijacked two vessels. 

The Philippines’ ambassador to Nigeria, Shirley Ho-Vicario, said two Filipino seafarers on board a Liberian-flagged container ship were among 11 crew members kidnapped by pirates who boarded the vessel on Saturday.

Another eight Filipino seafarers on a Panamanian-registered tanker, along with nine other crew members, remain unaccounted for after their vessel was hijacked on Monday, Ho-Vicario added.

The Philippine Embassy is trying to establish the whereabouts of the 10 seafarers and secure their safe release, she said. 

It was not immediately clear if they were taken by the same group of pirates who abducted seven Filipinos on board a Swiss-flagged vessel off Nigerian waters. 

The seven were released on Sunday, more than a month after they were seized. Their release was announced by the DFA on Tuesday.

The seven were among the 12 crew members of the Swiss-owned MV Glarus who were taken by armed men who boarded the vessel while on its way from Lagos to Port Harcourt on Sept. 22.

Five other Filipinos and two foreign nationals were left on board the vessel. It was not immediately clear why they were not taken. 

Ho-Vicario “said the Filipino seafarers are now in Zurich, Switzerland, from where they will be flown to Manila,” the DFA said.

In the first half of 2018, 35 seafarers were kidnapped for ransom in the region, the report added.

Meanwhile, the DFA has advised the Filipino community in Nigeria to remain vigilant as clashes between police and protesters from the Islamic Movement in Nigeria entered their second day on Tuesday.

The Philippine Embassy in Abuja has urged Filipinos in Nigeria’s capital to remain indoors due to the violence.

Ho-Vicario said the embassy is in touch with Filipino community leaders, and no Filipinos have so far been reported to be among the dead and wounded. 

Reports place the number of protesters killed at between three and 18. Security forces reportedly opened fire after they were attacked by Shiite protesters demanding the release of their leader. 


Turkiye says Greece-Chevron activity off Crete unlawful

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Turkiye says Greece-Chevron activity off Crete unlawful

ANKARA: Turkiye said on ‌Thursday it opposed Greece’s “unilateral activities” in hydrocarbon fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US oil major Chevron as ​a violation of international law and good neighborly relations.
The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding the United States’ presence in the eastern Mediterranean.
“We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding ‌on Maritime Jurisdiction ‌between Libya and our ​country,” ‌the ⁠Turkish Defense Ministry ​said at ⁠its weekly press briefing.
It said the activity, while not directly impacting Turkiye’s continental shelf in the region, also violated Libya’s maritime jurisdiction declared to the United Nations on May 27, 2025.
“We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to ⁠take action against these unilateral and ‌unlawful activities by Greece.
The 2019 ‌agreement signed by Turkiye and ​Libya set out maritime boundaries ‌in the Mediterranean Sea and was rejected by Greece ‌as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Turkiye and Libya.
The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available ‌for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major ⁠as the ⁠European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.
Neighbours and NATO members Turkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.
A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw in rhetoric ​between the two ​countries, though issues have remained unresolved despite leaders voicing a desire to address them.