Several hurt in MH-60 Seahawk crash on US carrier Ronald Reagan

The US aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan was conducting ‘routine operations’ in the Philippine Sea at the time of the accident. (AFP)
Updated 19 October 2018

Several hurt in MH-60 Seahawk crash on US carrier Ronald Reagan

  • The MH-60 Seahawk crashed shortly after take-off on Friday morning
  • The massive nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan patrols throughout the Pacific

TOKYO: A US Navy helicopter crashed on board a US aircraft carrier patrolling the Pacific on Friday, causing several injuries, the military said in a statement.
“All injured personnel are in stable condition under evaluation by Ronald Reagan medical staff. While some personnel will be medically evacuated ashore, none of the injuries is life-threatening,” the US 7th Fleet said in a statement.
There were no details on how many people were injured when the MH-60 Seahawk crashed shortly after take-off on Friday morning.
“The cause of the mishap is under investigation,” the statement added.
The ship was conducting “routine operations” in the Philippine Sea at the time of the accident and remains “fully mission capable,” the military added.
The massive nuclear-powered aircraft carrier patrols throughout the Pacific, including sailing through the disputed South China Sea earlier this year as part of a mission intended to reassure Washington’s allies in the area.


US to announce 4,000-troop drawdown from Afghanistan: media

Updated 42 min 22 sec ago

US to announce 4,000-troop drawdown from Afghanistan: media

  • There are 13,000 US troops currently in Afghanistan
  • US President Donald Trump has previously indicated he wants to wind down US military entanglements abroad where possible

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration will announce as early as this week plans to withdraw around 4,000 troops from Afghanistan, US media reported.
Talks between the United States and the Taliban resumed a week ago as the parties sought a path to reduce violence or even reach a cease-fire.
They were paused by Washington on Thursday, however, after an attack by the militant group near a key US air base north of Kabul that left two civilians dead and dozens injured.
There are 13,000 US troops currently in Afghanistan.
NBC on Saturday cited three current and former US officials as saying the Trump administration intends to announce the drawdown of 4,000 troops from Afghanistan.
Two of those said some of the troops would be redeploying early, while others would not be replaced when they end their term.
CNN cited one official in the Trump administration as saying the announcement on a drawdown could happen this week, but that the “timing remains in flux.”
According to a draft agreement from September — reached after years of negotiations — the Taliban would be required to commit to certain security measures, agree to talks with the Afghan government and promise a reduction of violence in exchange for US troop withdrawal.
US President Donald Trump insisted last month on the need for a cease-fire and made a surprise visit to Bagram on November 28 to celebrate Thanksgiving with troops and meet Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.
Trump has previously indicated he wants to wind down US military entanglements abroad where possible.