ISLAMABAD: Unofficial results of Sunday’s by-polls indicate a neck-to-neck race for Pakistan Muslim League – Nawaz (PML-N) and ruling party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf (PTI), with both securing four seats each from the 11 vacant National Assembly (NA) constituencies.
PTI lost a seat to Muttahida Majlis-i-Amal (MMA), a five-party alliance led by Fazlur Rehman and partner of PML-N. However, the Pakistan Muslim League – Quaid, a supporter of PTI, bagged two NA seats.
Preliminary figures showed PML-N securing six seats in the Punjab provincial assembly while PTI took four. Two other seats went to independent candidates. In the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) province, PTI grabbed six of the nine seats losing two to the Awami National Party and one to PML-N.
Parliamentarians from the Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) took two seats in the Sindh Assembly while the Baloch National Party (BNP) and an independent candidate secured one seat each in the Balochistan Assembly.
Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry cited the absence of Prime Minister Imran Khan in PTI’s by-election campaign as the main reason for the setback. However despite the opposition’s gains, the ruling party still received the highest number of combined assembly seats.
The slim margin is also a tell-tale signs of voters’ confidence in PM Khan’s policy amendments to steer the country toward progress, but at a cost borne by the common man. An unusually low voter turnout was recorded in Pakistan on Sunday as the country held by-elections for 11 national and 24 provincial assembly seats that had fallen vacant after the general elections in July.
More than 9.2 million voters were expected to cast their ballot at 7,489 polling centers that had stringent security measures in place. While media persons were barred from entering the polling stations, the voter turnout remained poor as per the initial counts, with an unnamed Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) official saying that it was 35 percent.
“The polling station was deserted when I went to vote late morning,” Syed Ather Ali, who voted for PTI from NA-60, a National Assembly constituency in Rawalpindi, said.
Some 370 hopefuls contested the by-polls, according to the ECP, which approved 645 nomination papers of the 661 submitted by different candidates. According to the data provided, 218 candidates contested from Punjab, 57 from Sindh, 36 from the sparsely populated province of Balochistan and 59 from KP.
According to unofficial results, a PML-N candidate won from NA-131, in Lahore. Similarly, the country’s former prime minister, Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, won and bagged the greatest number of votes in NA-124, Lahore, on the PML-N ticket. Much like the last general elections, the political battle was once again anticipated to be between PTI and PML-N and going by the unofficial accounts, both parties are understood to have taken four NA seats each.
Two unopposed candidates had already won the provincial seats of PP-87, Mianwali, and PP-296, Rajanpur. The most unique feature of the by-polls was the participation of overseas Pakistanis who could participate in the vote for the first time by accessing the ECP’s website.
However, out of the 7.9 million nationals living abroad, only a little more than 7,400 took part in the polls.
Meanwhile, few contestants, who lost the electoral race, believed they had fallen victim to systematic irregularities. Political analyst Qamar Cheema said the by-polls were vital for PTI since it had managed to form the government at the federal level with only a narrow margin. “These by-elections will also prove whether people have accepted or rejected all the changes that PM Khan’s administration has introduced in the country,” Cheema said while talking to Arab News.
PML-N strikes back as PTI struggles to maintain dominance
PML-N strikes back as PTI struggles to maintain dominance
- Both parties secure four seats each in Sunday’s by-polls
- Overseas Pakistanis vote for the first time via ECP website
Sindh assembly passes resolution rejecting move to separate Karachi
- Chief Minister Shah cites constitutional safeguards against altering provincial boundaries
- Calls to separate Karachi intensified amid governance concerns after a mall fire last month
ISLAMABAD: The provincial assembly of Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday passed a resolution rejecting any move to separate Karachi, declaring its territorial integrity “non-negotiable” amid political calls to carve the city out as a separate administrative unit.
The resolution comes after fresh demands by the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) and other voices to grant Karachi provincial or federal status following governance challenges highlighted by the deadly Gul Plaza fire earlier this year that killed 80 people.
Karachi, Pakistan’s largest and most densely populated city, is the country’s main commercial hub and contributes a significant share to the national economy.
Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah tabled the resolution in the assembly, condemning what he described as “divisive statements” about breaking up Sindh or detaching Karachi.
“The province that played a foundational role in the creation of Pakistan cannot allow the fragmentation of its own historic homeland,” Shah told lawmakers, adding that any attempt to divide Sindh or separate Karachi was contrary to the constitution and democratic norms.
Citing Article 239 of Pakistan’s 1973 Constitution, which requires the consent of not less than two-thirds of a provincial assembly to alter provincial boundaries, Shah said any such move could not proceed without the assembly’s approval.
“If any such move is attempted, it is this Assembly — by a two-thirds majority — that will decide,” he said.
The resolution reaffirmed that Karachi would “forever remain” an integral part of Sindh and directed the provincial government to forward the motion to the president, prime minister and parliamentary leadership for record.
Shah said the resolution was not aimed at anyone but referred to the shifting stance of MQM in the debate while warning that opposing the resolution would amount to supporting the division of Sindh.
The party has been a major political force in Karachi with a significant vote bank in the city and has frequently criticized Shah’s provincial administration over its governance of Pakistan’s largest metropolis.
Taha Ahmed Khan, a senior MQM leader, acknowledged that his party had “presented its demand openly on television channels with clear and logical arguments” to separate Karachi from Sindh.
“It is a purely constitutional debate,” he told Arab News by phone. “We are aware that the Pakistan Peoples Party, which rules the province, holds a two-thirds majority and that a new province cannot be created at this stage. But that does not mean new provinces can never be formed.”
Calls to alter Karachi’s status have periodically surfaced amid longstanding complaints over governance, infrastructure and administrative control in the megacity, though no formal proposal to redraw provincial boundaries has been introduced at the federal level.









