Boris Johnson and wife announce divorce

1 / 3
Marina Wheeler, the wife of London Mayor Boris Johnson leaves their home in London, Britain February 22, 2016. (REUTERS)
2 / 3
London mayor Boris Johnson, with his wife Marina, arrive to cast their vote in Islington in London, Britain May 7, 2015. (REUTERS)
3 / 3
London mayor Boris Johnson (R) sips wine as his wife Marina Wheeler stands to his left in the VIP box before the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium July 27, 2012. (REUTERS)
Updated 08 September 2018
Follow

Boris Johnson and wife announce divorce

  • Johnson's former adviser confirmed that a statement had been issued to the Press Association
  • Johnson is one of the most recognisable figures in British politics thanks to his shock of blonde hair and colourful turn of phrase

LONDON: Former British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson and his wife have announced that they are divorcing.
Johnson and Marina Wheeler said in a joint statement Friday that they separated “several months ago” after 25 years of marriage and have now decided to divorce.
The couple said divorce proceedings are now underway.
“As friends we will continue to support our four children in the years ahead. We will not be commenting further,” the statement said.
The couple’s split made front page headlines in several British tabloids that said Johnson had been thrown out of his house by his estranged wife.
Johnson resigned as foreign secretary in July after breaking with Prime Minister Theresa May over her Brexit plans.


Approval of Norwegian royals tumbles after repeated scandals

Updated 9 sec ago
Follow

Approval of Norwegian royals tumbles after repeated scandals

  • Just 60 percent of Norwegians support the royal family, down 10 points from a month earlier
OSLO: The Norwegian royal family’s popularity has fallen to its lowest ever after a series of scandals, according to a poll published Saturday by public broadcaster NRK.
Just 60 percent of Norwegians support the royal family, down 10 points from a month earlier, a level “that has never been so low,” according to NRK.
Princess Mette-Marit, who married Crown Prince Haakon in 2001, appears multiple times in the millions of pages released by the US Department of Justice, revealing an unsuspected complicity between her and the convicted American sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Her son, Marius Borg Hoiby, born from a brief relationship prior to her marriage to Haakon, is on trial for 38 charges, including four counts of rape and violence.
The 29-year-old, who is not a member of the royal family, denies the most serious accusations.
In another opinion poll published by TV2 at the end of January, 47.6 percent of respondents said that Mette-Marit should not become queen, while only 28.9 percent said she should.
King Harald, who turned 89 on Saturday, remains the most popular member of the royal family, according to the poll, which was conducted by the Norstat institute on a sample of more than a thousand people.