FaceOf: Dr. Ibrahim Al-Gannas, president of the Saudi Karate Federation

Ibrahim Al-Gannas
Updated 19 July 2018

FaceOf: Dr. Ibrahim Al-Gannas, president of the Saudi Karate Federation

  • Al-Gannas was the first vice president of the Arab Karate Federation between 2017 and 2018. 
  • He won the gold medal in kumite in the Arab Championship 1979, and bronze medal on the kata team at the Asian Championship 1981

JEDDAH: Dr. Ibrahim Al-Gannas has been the head of the Saudi Karate Federation since March 2018. 

Prior to his appointment, Al-Gannas was the first vice president of the Arab Karate Federation between 2017 and 2018. 

He has also served as the president of the West Asian Karate Federation, president of the Gulf Karate Organizational Committee and chairman of the referees committee at the Saudi Arabian Karate Federation.

Al-Gannas received his Ph.D. in security management from Neelain University in Khartoum, Sudan, and his master’s degree from Naif Arab University for security sciences in security management at the department of crime prevention. 

Al-Gannas is a member of the World Karate Federation (WKF) executive committee, a board member of the Saudi Arabian Olympic Committee and a former member of the Arab referees committee and Gulf referees committee.

He was a member of the Al-Hilal Saudi Sports Club and former supervisor of different sports at the Al-Hilal sports club, and a member of the Saudi Arabian Olympic committee preparing for qualification for the London Olympic Games in 2012.

Al-Gannas is a black belt in the 7th dan, and was a Saudi champion for many years in kata and kumite. 

He won the gold medal in kumite in the Arab Championship 1979, and bronze medal on the kata team at the Asian Championship 1981. 

He was an international referee and participated in international and local championships, and headed many Saudi missions for international and continental championships.

Al-Gannas also won the Mohammed bin Rashid Al-Maktoum Creative Sports Award at its ninth edition in November 2017 for best Arab administrator.

Al-Gannas met Jordan’s Olympic Committee Secretary-General Nasser Al-Majali in Amman on Tuesday and they discussed ways of enhancing karate in both countries. 


Saudi halts tourist visas for countries worst hit by coronavirus

Updated 32 min 54 sec ago

Saudi halts tourist visas for countries worst hit by coronavirus

  • Tourist visas will still be available electronically or upon arrival to citizens of other qualifying countries

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Tourism announced on Friday that it has temporarily stopped issuing tourist visas to people in certain countries particularly badly hit by the coronavirus outbreak.

The affected nations are China, Italy, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and Kazakhstan. The decision applies both to electronic visas obtained online and traditional visas issued upon arrival. In addition, tourist visas previously issued to residents of the listed countries will be temporarily suspended.

Tourist visas will still be available electronically or upon arrival to citizens of other qualifying countries, but as a precaution they will not be allowed to visit Makkah or Madinah.

People in countries that are not eligible for electronic visas can check whether they can travel to the Kingdom by calling a helpline on 0096 692 000 0890. Residents of the US, the UK and Schengen nations can call the same number to check whether they can obtain a tourist visa.

The Ministry of Tourism said that the restrictions were designed to protect citizens, residents and tourists, in line with recommendations from health authorities.

“These procedures are temporary and are subject to continuous evaluation by the competent authorities,” a spokesman for the ministry said.

The latest restrictions come a day after Saudi authorities announced temporary bans on Umrah pilgrims and visits to the Prophet’s Mosque. They also said that holders of tourist visas from the countries worst affected by the virus would be refused entry to the country.

Also on Thursday, the Saudi health ministry said there are still “no known cases” of the coronavirus in the Kingdom.