Two killed in southern Iraq as job protests spread

Protesters demonstrate as Iraqi soldiers stand guard near oil fields in Qurna. (AFP)
Updated 15 July 2018
Follow

Two killed in southern Iraq as job protests spread

  • Protesters killed in Maysan province near Iran border
  • Demonstrations, which started in Basra, spread to other parts of iraq

BAGHDAD / BASRA: Protesters stormed the provincial government building in the Iraqi city of Kerbala on Saturday as two more demonstrators were killed in southern Iraq  as protests over poor public services and corruption entered their sixth day.
Demonstrations also took place in the cities of Najaf and Basra, where security forces announced city-wide curfews amid reports of skirmishes between protesters and local militia groups.

In Basra, seven protesters were injured after clashing with guards belonging to a local militia group, security forces said.

The deaths overnight in Maysan province on the border with Iran brought to three the number of demonstrators killed since the protests erupted on Sunday in Basra.
A spokesman for the Maysan health authorities, Ahmad Al-Kanani, said the pair died from gunshot wounds in the provincial capital Amarah.
It was not clear who killed them but Kanani said there had been “indiscriminate gunfire” in the city.
Dozens more have been wounded in the past week, including security forces.
The unrest comes as Iraq struggles to rebuild after a devastating three-year war against Daesh, and with the country in political limbo following May elections.
The demonstrations over unemployment, the rising cost of living and a lack of basic services escalated after a protester was killed by security forces on Sunday in Basra.
Demonstrators set tires ablaze to block roads and tried to storm government installations and oil companies.
On Friday Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi flew to Basra from Brussels, where he had attended a NATO summit, to try to restore calm.
But even as he met the governor of the oil-rich province and energy chiefs, protesters took to the streets of Basra city as well as other parts of the province and the unrest spread further afield.
Overnight in Maysan, several protests were held outside the headquarters of various political parties — including Abadi’s Dawa Party — and some were set on fire, Iraqi media reported.
A small protest also took place after midnight in the northern Baghdad district of Al-Shula amid a heavy deployment of security forces, a security source told AFP.
The source said a few protesters were still out on the streets of Al-Shula on Saturday morning, adding that the demonstration was peaceful.
Unidentified calls were also posted on social media for massive demonstrations to take place on Saturday in Baghdad.
Some urged demonstrators to head for the fortified Green Zone, an area out of bounds for most Iraqis where the country’s key institutions and embassies, including the US and British missions, are located.
On Saturday dozens of protesters rallied in different parts of Basra, including at the West Qurna and Majnoon oil fields west of the city.

Reinforcement troops from both the Counter-Terrorism Service and the Army’s Ninth Division have already been dispatched to Basra to help protect the province’s oil fields, security sources said.
Protesters were gathered at Basra’s Umm Qasr port and outside the governor’s office in the center of the city. A group of demonstrators also staged a brief protest at the Safwan border crossing with Kuwait.
On Friday hundreds of people holding Iraqi flags gathered outside the governor’s office in Basra while protests also took place in the provinces of Dhi Qar and Najaf.

Hundreds of Iraqis stormed the airport and halted air traffic in Najaf on Friday.

Shiite clerics, including Moqtada Sadr whose populist coalition triumphed in May elections, have backed the protesters but urged them to refrain from violence.
Sadr has sought to form a broad coalition with rivals including Al-Abadi, but the process has been complicated by the supreme court ordering manual recounts in areas where the election was disputed.
After visiting Basra, the prime minister chaired a security cabinet in Baghdad, his office said in a statement accusing “infiltrators” of feeding on “peaceful protests to attack public and private property.”
“Our forces will take all the necessary measures to counter those people,” the statement said.
Officially, 10.8 percent of Iraqis are jobless, while youth unemployment is twice as high in a country where 60 percent of the population are aged under 24.

(With AFP and Reuters)


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 17 February 2026
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.