GAZA: Israel’s navy seized a boat on Tuesday that had left from a Gaza port with wounded Palestinians aboard in a bid to challenge the blockade of the Hamas-run enclave.
Hundreds of people had gathered to see off the boat carrying nine passengers, including four people said to have been wounded by Israeli soldiers along with students.
The passengers “with specific needs are prevented from traveling, receiving care and finishing their studies,” said organizer Raed Abu Dair.
“We are determined to break the blockade.”
Mahmud Abu Ataya, 25, who recently suffered a leg wound east of Gaza City, said: “I am leaving to be cared for abroad.”
But the boat was seized by Israel’s navy a short time after setting off.
“After the boat and the Palestinians on board are searched, the boat will be towed to the Israeli navy base in Ashdod,” Israel’s military said in a statement.
“The (military) assigned medical personnel to treat Palestinians on board requiring medical assistance.”
A similar attempt was made in May and also resulted in Israeli forces seizing the main protest boat several kilometers (miles) out to sea.
Israel’s blockade restricts Gazan boats to up to six nautical miles off the enclave.
Israel and Islamist movement Hamas, which runs the Gaza Strip, have fought three wars since 2008.
UN officials and rights activists have repeatedly called for Israel to lift the blockade, citing deteriorating humanitarian conditions.
Israel says it is necessary to stop Hamas and other militant groups in Gaza from obtaining weapons or materials that could be used to make them.
On Monday, Israel also closed its only goods crossing with the Gaza Strip in response to weeks of fires at farms caused by kites and balloons carrying firebombs from the Palestinian enclave.
A spokesman for Israel’s fire service says 750 fires have burned 2,600 hectares, putting the damage at millions of shekels (hundreds of thousands of dollars/euros).
Gazans began launching the kites as part of protests along the border calling for Palestinian refugees to return to their former homes now inside Israel.
Since protests and clashes broke out along the Gaza border on March 30, at least 139 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire and more than 4,000 have been wounded by gunfire.
The majority were involved in protests and clashes, but others were seeking to breach or damage the border fence.
No Israelis have been killed.
Israel seizes boat from Gaza seeking to break blockade
Israel seizes boat from Gaza seeking to break blockade
- Israel’s blockade restricts Gazan boats to up to six nautical miles off the enclave
- Hundreds of people had gathered to see off the boat carrying nine passengers
Some US troops departing Syria, official says
- The Wall Street Journal reported the US was withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria
DAMASCUS: Some US troops are leaving Syria as part of a “deliberate and conditions-based transition,” a senior US official said on Wednesday.
The Wall Street Journal reported the US was withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria.
“US forces remain poised to respond to any ISIS threats that arise in the region as we support partner-led efforts to prevent the terrorist network’s resurgence,” the senior administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.
“However US presence at scale is no longer required in Syria given the Syrian government’s willingness to take primary responsibility for combating the terrorist threat within its borders,” the official added.
Last week, the US military said it completed a withdrawal from a strategic base in Syria, handing it over to Syrian forces, in the latest sign of strengthening US-Syrian ties that could enable an even larger American drawdown.
The Wall Street Journal reported the US was withdrawing all of its roughly 1,000 troops from Syria.
“US forces remain poised to respond to any ISIS threats that arise in the region as we support partner-led efforts to prevent the terrorist network’s resurgence,” the senior administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said.
“However US presence at scale is no longer required in Syria given the Syrian government’s willingness to take primary responsibility for combating the terrorist threat within its borders,” the official added.
Last week, the US military said it completed a withdrawal from a strategic base in Syria, handing it over to Syrian forces, in the latest sign of strengthening US-Syrian ties that could enable an even larger American drawdown.
© 2026 SAUDI RESEARCH & PUBLISHING COMPANY, All Rights Reserved And subject to Terms of Use Agreement.









