LONDON: The US Department of State issued a statement on Thursday offering its condolences to the families and friends of two Saudi students who drowned in Massachusetts last week.
Cousins, Theeb Al-Yami, 27 and Jaser Al-Rakah, 25, drowned as they attempted to rescue two children who had got into difficulties in the Chicopee River in New England state.
On Thursday the State Department issued a statement which read: “The United States expresses its heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of TheebAl-Yami and Jaser Al-Rakah after their tragic deaths in Massachusetts. The young men drowned while courageously attempting to save children in distress.
“Their heroism represents the very best of the international students who enrich communities across the United States.
“Theeb and Jaser were among the 52,000 Saudi students studying in the United States who bring greater international understanding and diverse perspectives to US campuses and communities, and to Saudi Arabia when they return home.”
The two young Saudi men saw two children in distress in the river after their mother was unable to save them. Another group of people nearby also tried to rescue the children, but failed because of the river’s heavy current, according to a local police report.
Al-Yami was enrolled at the University of Hartford in a civil engineering program and Al-Rakah was studying at Western New England University as an engineering student. They both drowned after being swept away by the tide.
Police started a search of the river on Friday. They retrieved the bodies of the two Saudi students on Friday and Monday.
US State Department sends condolences to families of two Saudi students drowned in Massachusetts
US State Department sends condolences to families of two Saudi students drowned in Massachusetts
Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen
- Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018
RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.
The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.
The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.
The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.
Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.
Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.
The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.









