Jordanians rush 26 trucks of aid to southern Syria

Trucks loaded with humanitarian supplies for displaced Syrians, line up at the Jordanian border. (Reuters)
Updated 02 July 2018
Follow

Jordanians rush 26 trucks of aid to southern Syria

  • Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi is heading to Russia with the hope of obtaining Moscow’s support for a reduction in violence
  • Amman wants to ensure that there is no military spillover into Jordanian territory, says expert

AMMAN: Jordanians have shifted from demanding that their government opens the border for their neighbors fleeing the violence in southern Syria to collecting food and essential items to send to them where they are.

Abu Ayham, a government employee, told Arab News that he was energized to help collect food parcels and water for Syrian refugees when he discovered that a local charity had access. “When I found out that this charity had a permit to transport humanitarian aid to south Syria, I called friends and neighbors and we initiated a collection mostly made of canned food and bottled water,” he said.

Thousands of Jordanians have begun similar ad hoc efforts to help those in need. Jordan’s Prime Minister Omar Razzaz also chimed in and called for support for the humanitarian effort.

“We call for a national campaign of humanitarian support to our brothers inside Syria to help alleviate their suffering. This will be done via the Jordanian Hashemite Fund to ensure that the needed supplies reach our Syrian brethren as soon as possible,” he wrote on Twitter.

Razzaz followed his tweet with a surprise visit on Sunday to the northern town of Ramtha, close to the Syrian border.

Jordan’s military had, by Monday afternoon, delivered a total of 26 truck-loads of humanitarian supplies.

Ayman Mefleh, the director of the Jordanian Hashemite Fund, said the organization was contacted by the government to arrange and centralize the aid efforts. “Jordanians of all walks of life decided to help and we used all our resources and experience to gather and funnel this help to the needy in south Syria,” he said.

Mefleh told Arab News that shipments of food, water, blankets and tents were transported across the border with the help of the Arab Jordanian Armed Forces. “This is a purely Jordanian national effort without anyone else’s help,” he said.

While humanitarian support was being sent to the needy in Syria, Jordanian officials were busy trying to intercede with Russia to reduce the violence and ensure the de-escalation agreement reached in Amman between officials from the US, Russian and Jordan last year is honored.

Jordan’s Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi is heading to Russia on Tuesday with the hope of obtaining Moscow’s support for a reduction in violence and for working out local agreements with an eye on preserving Jordan’s interests.

Arab News has learned that Jordanian military and political officials took part in a top-level secret meeting with leaders of the Syrian opposition in Amman on Monday, in order to coordinate the message that Safadi will carry with him to Moscow.

Musa Shteiwi, of Jordan University’s Center for Strategic Studies, told Arab News he has a strong feeling that the efforts of Jordanian officials will succeed in reducing tensions. “While Jordan will not intercede for Al-Nusra or Khaled ibn Al-Walid militias, our officials are working to reach understandings for the supporters of the Free Syrian Army and other groups,” he said.

Shteiwi believes that Jordan has three main interests in its negotiations with the Russians. “We want to ensure that there is no military spillover into Jordanian territory, that pro-Iranian and Hezbollah troops are not allowed in the areas near Jordan’s borders, and that the Syria-Jordan crossing points will eventually be opened to allow for a return to the previous status.”


US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

US makes plans to reopen embassy in Syria after 14 years

  • The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year
  • Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president

WASHINGTON: The Trump administration has informed Congress that it intends to proceed with planning for a potential re-opening of the US Embassy in Damascus, Syria, which was shuttered in 2012 during the country’s civil war.
A notice to congressional committees earlier this month, which was obtained by The Associated Press, informed lawmakers of the State Department’s “intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume embassy operations in Syria.”
The Feb. 10 notification said that spending on the plans would begin in 15 days, or next week, although there was no timeline offered for when they would be complete or when US personnel might return to Damascus on a full-time basis.
The administration has been considering re-opening the embassy since last year, shortly after longtime strongman Bashar Assad was ousted in December 2024, and it has been a priority for President Donald Trump’s ambassador to Turkiye and special envoy for Syria, Tom Barrack.
Barrack has pushed for a deep rapprochement with Syria and its new leadership under former rebel Ahmad Al-Sharaa and has successfully advocated for the lifting of US sanctions and a reintegration of Syria into the regional and international communities.
Trump told reporters on Friday that Al-Sharaa was “doing a phenomenal job” as president. “He’s a rough guy. He’s not a choir boy. A choir boy couldn’t do it,” Trump said. “But Syria’s coming together.”
Last May, Barrack visited Damascus and raised the US flag at the embassy compound, although the embassy was not yet re-opened.
The same day the congressional notification was sent, Barrack lauded Syria’s decision to participate in the coalition that is combating the Daesh militant group, even as the US military has withdrawn from a small, but important, base in the southeast and there remain significant issues between the government and the Kurdish minority.
“Regional solutions, shared responsibility. Syria’s participation in the D-Daesh Coalition meeting in Riyadh marks a new chapter in collective security,” Barrack said.
The embassy re-opening plans are classified and the State Department declined to comment on details beyond confirming that the congressional notification was sent.
However, the department has taken a similar “phased” approach in its plans to re-open the US Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela, following the US military operation that ousted former President Nicolás Maduro in January, with the deployment of temporary staffers who would live in and work out of interim facilities.