To fast or not? Syrians in Raqqa mark relaxed Ramadan

Artisans prepare sweet bread at a bakery in the Syrian city of Raqqa on Thursday, during the holy month of Ramadan. (AFP)
Updated 21 May 2018
Follow

To fast or not? Syrians in Raqqa mark relaxed Ramadan

  • Muslims around the world fast from dawn until dusk, but in Daesh territory, anyone caught eating or drinking water was subject to draconian punishments.
  • For more than three years, residents of Raqqa were subjected to Daesh’s ultra-strict interpretation of Islamic law — particularly stringent during the holy month of Ramadan.

RAQQA, Syria: To fast or not to fast? For the first time in years, Syrians in Raqqa can choose to observe a relaxed Ramadan, without the rigid regulations imposed by Daesh and their religious police.

“We are free to fast or not,” says Ahmad Al-Hussein, a resident of the northern Syrian city that was the inner sanctum of Daesh’s self-styled “caliphate.”

“We used to fast in fear, but now it’s out of faith,” the stonemason tells AFP.

For more than three years, residents of Raqqa were subjected to Daesh’s ultra-strict interpretation of Islamic law — particularly stringent during the holy month of Ramadan.

Muslims around the world fast from dawn until dusk, but in Daesh territory, anyone caught eating or drinking water was subject to draconian punishments.

“Those that didn’t fast were locked in an iron cage in a public square, under the sun and in front of everyone, to serve as an example,” recalls Hussein, in his 40s.

A US-backed offensive ousted Daesh from Raqqa in October, after months of clashes and bombardment that left much of the city in ruins and littered with explosives.

Still, tens of thousands have cautiously returned to their homes and marked the start last week of what they hoped would be a more festive Ramadan.

Hussein says he will observe the day-long fast, but is excited to resume one custom in particular: Gathering around the television with his family to watch month-long drama series aired specially during Ramadan.

Daesh had clamped down on satellite dishes and any form of entertainment seen as contrary to religion.

“We missed these Ramadan traditions. For four years under IS (Daesh), we were banned from watching these series,” Hussein tells AFP.

Already, Ramadan feels different, with those opting not to fast eating publicly without fear of retribution.

Young men gather at a restaurant in the city center, sipping on chilled fruit juices under the scorching sun.

An employee carefully slices slabs of meat that will be barbecued for juicy sandwiches.

During Daesh reign, “we could only open our restaurants two hours before breaking the fast,” says owner Dakhil Al-Farj.

Anyone seen eating during the day was arrested by the hisbah, or religious police, he recalls.

“Now, we start serving customers at 10 am. People are free. Those that want to fast do, and those that don’t are also free not to,” Farj says.

Daesh defeat in Raqqa came at a heavy price.

Residents are still losing their lives to the sea of unexploded ordnance left behind by the militants.

Bombing raids by the US-led coalition backing the offensive against Daesh flattened entire neighborhoods, and rebuilding efforts have been slow.

Many districts still have no electricity or running water, and there are barely any jobs.

That means many are unable to afford a lavish iftar, the sunset meal that breaks the daytime fast.

In one street market, Syrians stroll among stalls piled high with fragrant oranges, bananas, bright white cauliflowers, potatoes and deep purple aubergines.

Huran Al-Nachef, a 52-year-old Raqqa native, will pick up a few tomatoes, cucumbers, and potatoes for a modest meal.

“It’s all obscenely expensive and there’s no work,” says Nachef.

His children look for odd jobs every day to try to provide for their families, but can barely break even.

“Those with money can prepare iftar, but those poor like me can’t help but feel sorry for themselves,” he says.

Nadia Al-Saleh, another resident, shuffles into a bustling bakery to pick up maarouk, a brioche-like pastry covered in sesame seeds that is ubiquitous during Ramadan.

“We’re buying some pastries to make the kids happy, make them feel the Ramadan spirit,” says Saleh, whose hair is covered by a dainty midnight-blue shawl.

“We’re still homeless. We’re living with other people, our husbands have no work. Our situation is really tough.”

But baker Hanif Abu Badih is feeling optimistic.

“There’s no comparison. Despite all the destruction, people are extremely happy that the nightmare is over,” he tells AFP, dressed in a traditional bright white robe.

Under IS, he was sentenced to 40 lashes and three days in prison, and his bakery was forced to close for two weeks.

Why? One of his youngest employees tried to hide when the hisbah was rounding up men for obligatory prayers.

“This year, we are going to fast without IS. We’re going to live however we want, in total freedom,” says Abu Badih.


Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

Updated 12 min 21 sec ago
Follow

Israel police to deploy around Al-Aqsa for Ramadan, Palestinians report curbs

  • The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that they would deploy in force around the Al-Aqsa Mosque during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which begins this week, as Palestinian officials accused Israel of imposing restrictions at the compound.
Over the course of the month of fasting and prayer, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians traditionally attend prayers at Al-Aqsa — Islam’s third-holiest site, located in east Jerusalem, which Israel captured in 1967 and later annexed.
Arad Braverman, a senior Jerusalem police officer, said forces would be deployed “day and night” across the compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, and in the surrounding area.
He said thousands of police would also be on duty for Friday prayers, which draw the largest crowds of Muslim worshippers.
Braverman said police had recommended issuing 10,000 permits for Palestinians from the occupied West Bank, who require special permission to enter Jerusalem.
He did not say whether age limits would apply, adding that the final number of people would be decided by the government.
The Palestinian Jerusalem Governorate said in a separate statement it had been informed that permits would again be restricted to men over 55 and women over 50, mirroring last year’s criteria.
It said Israeli authorities had blocked the Islamic Waqf — the Jordanian?run body administering the site — from carrying out routine preparations, including installing shade structures and setting up temporary medical clinics.
A Waqf source confirmed the restrictions and said 33 of its employees had been barred from entering the compound in the week before Ramadan.
The Al-Aqsa compound is a central symbol of Palestinian identity and also a frequent flashpoint.
Under long?standing arrangements, Jews may visit the compound — which they revere as the site of their second temple, destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD — but they are not permitted to pray there.
Israel says it is committed to maintaining this status quo, though Palestinians fear it is being eroded.
Braverman reiterated Monday that no changes were planned.
In recent years, a growing number of Jewish ultranationalists have challenged the prayer ban, including far?right politician Itamar Ben-Gvir, who prayed at the site while serving as national security minister in 2024 and 2025.