Hezbollah supporters run riot after Nasrallah praises victory

1 / 2
Independent candidate Joumana Haddad campaigned to reform personal status laws. (Reuters)
2 / 2
Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri criticized a new electoral law during Monday’s press conference in Beirut. (AFP)
Updated 26 June 2018
Follow

Hezbollah supporters run riot after Nasrallah praises victory

  • Hassan Nasrallah hailed the Hezbollah's performance in the parliamentary elections a “great victory”.
  • Prime Minister Saad Hariri says he would still work with Michel Aoun, the Christian president aligned with Hezbollah, “because this alliance is achieving stability in the country.”

BEIRUT: Hezbollah supporters ran rampant through the streets of Beirut on Monday evening after the militant group’s leader Hassan Nasrallah hailed a “great victory” in parliamentary elections.

Videos and photographs of supporters of the Iran-backed group, and Lebanon’s other main Shiite party Amal, showed motorbikes and cars parading their flags through the capital.

One image showed a Hezbollah flag attached to a statue of former Prime Minister Rafiq Hariri, who was assassinated in 2005, allegedly by members of the group.

The image sparked outrage on social media. Rafiq Hariri was the father of the current Prime Minister, Saad.

In his speech, Nasrallah declared a “great political and moral victory for the resistance option that protects the sovereignty of the country.”

Supporters chanted “Beirut became Shiite” as they weaved between cars after the rally.

Results announced Monday night revealed the country’s first election in nine years is a strong victory for Hezbollah and its allies. 

The opposing coalition, led by Hariri, which has disintegrated in recent years, suffered heavy losses.

Earlier, Hariri, smarting from the bloody nose handed to his party, the Future Movement, attempted to set out his position for talks to form a government. 

He said he would still work with Michel Aoun, the Christian president aligned with Hezbollah, “because this alliance is achieving stability in the country.”

He added: “If the conditions of my nomination to head the government do not suit me, I would certainly decline.”

Hariri’s Sunni bloc won 21 seats, compared with 33 in the 2009 election, leaving him weakened but still likely to hold on to his job which, under Lebanon’s confessional system, is allocated to a Sunni.

“We were hoping to achieve a better result and a bigger bloc but the Future Movement faced a scheme to eliminate it from political life,” Hariri said. “I extend my hand to all those who want stability, the strengthening of the economy…and the improvement of the Lebanese living situation. I am unbreakable, and Lebanon can only be governed by all its components.”

Hezbollah and Amal retained their 27 seats in the 128 member parliament, according to the unofficial results. A coalition that includes the two groups and their allies won more than half of all seats.

Hariri’s forlorn press conference included the revelation that the number of Future Movement seats in Beirut had dropped from 11 to five.



The announcement of official results had been promised in the morning but was delayed for logistical reasons, sparking concern among some political forces over the increased chance of electoral fraud.

 

Basic services

The turnout was a disappointing 49 percent, down from 54 percent in 2009. Politicians failed to persuade the Lebanese people to go the ballot boxes, with many jaded by the deeply divided political forces, sects and clans that hold sway in the country, and the ineffectiveness of recent administrations in providing the basic services of government.

A preliminary reading of the results showed the Christian Lebanese Forces, which is anti-Hezbollah, had doubled its number of MPs from eight to 16, making it the party with the biggest gain in seats in the election. 

The Christian Free Patriotic Movement, the party of President Aoun, which is allied with Hezbollah, also increased the number of its seats, from 20 to 23.

The Parliament lost some veteran legislators, including Boutros Harb, Nicolas Fattouche and Ghassan Moukheiber. 

The fall of Harb, and of another politician, Faris Saeed, were considered major losses for what is left of Hariri’s March 14 coalition. 

Hezbollah lost two seats in the Baalbek-Hermel constituency.

The election also resulted in the entry to the Parliament of the president’s sons-in-laws: Gibran Basil and Shamil Roquez.

Of the 62 new MPs expected to enter parliament, 12 were Sunni, nine Shiite and 19 Maronite.

The election also marked the return to Parliament of supporters of the Syrian regime, raising concerns that with Bashar Assad’s position in Damascus now more secure, his government would revert to trying to influence the administration in Lebanon.

The number of elected women increased from four to six, including, for the first time, one from the Shiite community.

On Sunday night, Beirut’s streets experienced two waves of violence as dozens of motorbikes drove through the streets flying Amal and Hezbollah banners. Supporters shouted abusive chants against senior Beirut figures. They also tore up pictures of President Hariri in some areas.

Shooting incidents were also reported in areas popular with supporters of the Future Movement and of the Association of Islamic Charitable Projects.

A young man was killed in Akkar in northern Lebanon by stray bullets fired in the air in celebration. A woman was also hit by a stray bullet in Zgharta.

French Ambassador to Lebanon Bruno Fuchs congratulated the Lebanese “for their performance of the national duty during the parliamentary elections.”

Iranian state television quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi as saying: “Tehran respects the Lebanese people’s choices in the parliamentary elections and we are ready to work with the government elected by the majority.”

And in a sign that Hezbollah’s strengthened position could raise tensions between powers in the region, Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett said: “The gains of Hezbollah show that there is no difference between the state and the Shiite group backed by Iran. Israel should not differentiate between them in any future war.”

On Monday evening, supporters of an independent candidate forecast to win a seat gathered outside the Interior Ministry to protest what they said were clear signs of fraud to deny her victory. 

Joumana Haddad, a novelist and candidate on the independent Kulna Watani list was forecast to win but TV channels stopped reporting her victory on Monday, AP reported.


Rubio plans to update Netanyahu on US-Iran talks in Israel next week, officials say

Updated 8 sec ago
Follow

Rubio plans to update Netanyahu on US-Iran talks in Israel next week, officials say

WASHINGTON: Secretary of State Marco Rubio plans to travel to Israel next week to update Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the US-Iran nuclear talks, two Trump administration officials said.
Rubio is expected to meet with Netanyahu on Feb. 28, according to the officials, who spoke Wednesday on condition of anonymity to detail travel plans that have not yet been announced.
The US and Iran recently have held two rounds of indirect talks over the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program.
Iran has agreed to draw up a written proposal to address US concerns that were raised during this week’s Geneva talks, according to another senior US official who was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.
That official said top national security officials gathered Wednesday in the White House Situation Room to discuss Iran, and were briefed that the “full forces” needed to carry out potential military action are expected to be in place by mid-March. The official did not provide a timeline for when Iran is expected to deliver its written response.
Officials from both the US and Iran had publicly offered some muted optimism about progress this week, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi even saying that “a new window has opened” for reaching an agreement.
“In some ways, it went well,” US Vice President JD Vance said about the talks in an interview Tuesday with Fox News Channel. “But in other ways, it was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.”
Netanyahu visited the White House last week to urge President Donald Trump to ensure that any deal about Iran’s nuclear program also include steps to neutralize Iran’s ballistic missile program and end its funding for proxy groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
Trump is weighing whether to take military action against Tehran as the administration surges military resources to the region, raising concerns that any attack could spiral into a larger conflict in the Middle East.
On Friday, Trump told reporters that a change in power in Iran “seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.” He added, “For 47 years, they’ve been talking and talking and talking.”
The Trump administration has dispatched the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, from the Caribbean Sea to the Mideast to join a second carrier as well as other warships and military assets that the US has built up in the region.
Dozens of US fighter jets, including F-35s, F-22s and F-16s, have left bases in the US and Europe in recent days to head to the Middle East, according to the Military Air Tracking Alliance, a team of about 30 open-source analysts that routinely analyzes military and government flight activity.
The team says it’s also tracked more than 85 fuel tankers and over 170 cargo planes heading into the region.
Steffan Watkins, a researcher based in Canada and a member of the MATA, said he also has spotted support aircraft like six of the military’s early-warning E-3 aircraft head to a base in Saudi Arabia.
Those aircraft are key for coordinating operations with a large number of aircraft. He says they were pulled from bases in Japan, Germany and Hawaii.