British PM apologizes to Caribbean leaders over deportation row

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May. (AFP)
Updated 18 April 2018
Follow

British PM apologizes to Caribbean leaders over deportation row

LONDON: Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday personally apologized to Caribbean leaders after her government threatened to deport some of the hundreds of thousands of people who emigrated to Britain from the region in the 1950s and 1960s.
At a meeting in Downing Street, May told representatives of the 12 Caribbean members of the Commonwealth that she took the treatment of the so-called Windrush generation “very seriously.”
“I want to apologize to you today. Because we are genuinely sorry for any anxiety that has been caused,” she told the hastily-convened gathering.
She added: “I want to dispel any impression that my government is in some sense clamping down on Commonwealth citizens, particularly those from the Caribbean.”
The government has faced outrage for its treatment of people who came to Britain between 1948 — when the ship Empire Windrush brought over the first group of West Indian immigrants — and the early 1970s.
They and their parents were invited to help rebuild Britain after World War II and with many of them legally British — they were born while their home countries were still colonies — they were given indefinite leave to remain.
But those who failed to get their papers in order are now being treated as illegal, which limits their access to work and health care and puts them at risk of deportation if they cannot provide evidence of their life in Britain.
The row, which one MP called a “national shame,” has been hugely embarrassing as it coincides with this week’s meeting of the 53 Commonwealth heads of government in London.
More than 50,000 people could be affected by the government’s immigration crackdown.


Danish forces evacuate US submarine crew member off Greenland

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Danish forces evacuate US submarine crew member off Greenland

NUUK: Danish forces evacuated a crew member from a US submarine off the coast of Greenland on Saturday after the sailor required urgent medical treatment, authorities said.
Denmark’s Joint Arctic Command, which oversees Danish operations in the region, said in a post on Facebook the crew member was flown to a hospital in Nuuk after a medical emergency on board the vessel.
Officials did not disclose the nature of the medical issue or give details about the submarine’s mission.
Images posted online appeared to show the sail of a submarine surfacing in Nuuk’s bay, though AFP could not immediately verify the footage.
Since returning to the White House last year, US President Donald Trump has argued that Washington needs to control mineral-rich Greenland — an autonomous Danish territory — for American national security.
Last month, Trump backed down from earlier threats to seize the Arctic island after striking a “framework” deal with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte to ensure greater US influence.