Arab League to hold emergency meeting over Israeli crimes in Palestine

Palestinian protester carries an injured comrade during clashes with Israeli forces following a protest along the border with Israel, east of Gaza City on April 1, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 02 April 2018
Follow

Arab League to hold emergency meeting over Israeli crimes in Palestine

DUBAI: The Arab league will hold an emergency meeting on Tuesday over Israeli’s crimes against Palestinians, days after IDF forces killed over a dozen near the Gaza border, Saudi state-news agency SPA reported.
The decision comes at Palestine’s request, where permanent representatives to the Arab League will hold an urgent meeting that will touch on Israeli violations against the Palestinians during a peaceful protest on the occasion of ‘Land Day’ on March 30th.
Assistant Arab League Secretary-General for Palestinian Affairs Saeed Abu Ali stressed that the international community should take responsibility toward putting an end to these crimes and form an investigative committee that would hold Israel accountable for its actions.
Footage circulated the web appears to show men from a group which left the main demonstration on Friday and approached the border being shot in the back as they fled.
Israeli forces have killed at least 18 Palestinians and injured more than 1,400 others during and following the protests last Friday.
The demonstrations, also know as “right of return,” will come to an end on May 15, the 70th anniversary of Israel’s creation, with the intention to march through the border fence.
Israel has ruled out any right of return to Gaza’s two million inhabitants who are descendants of the hundreds of thousands who fled Israel in 1948.


Syria launches debris removal campaign in Idlib

Updated 4 sec ago
Follow

Syria launches debris removal campaign in Idlib

  • Officials will prioritize reopening roads to enhance basic services, help residents’ return

LONDON: Syrian authorities launched a campaign to remove at least 600,000 cubic meters of debris in Idlib province, which was created by the civil war.

The Syrian Ministry of Emergency and Disaster Management said on Thursday that the project targets the towns of Khan Sheikhoun, Maaret Al-Numan and Jisr Al-Shughour, areas that sustained significant damage during years of war.

Officials will prioritize removing debris and reopening main and secondary roads to enhance basic services, and facilitate residents’ return, according to the Syrian Arab News Agency.

Last year, about 450,000 cubic meters of rubble were cleared as part of a national recovery plan in Idlib. Officials said that removing debris is essential for restoring infrastructure and enabling displaced residents to return.

The northwestern province of Idlib experienced heavy rainfall in February, leading to the flooding of several displacement camps and the evacuation of hundreds of families. The civil war in Syria, which lasted from 2011 to 2024, left the country’s infrastructure in dire condition and in urgent need of repair.