Prince Charles discusses religious tolerance with Egyptian PhD students in London

Students from Al-Azhar University met with Prince Charles in London. (Courtesy Al-Masry Al-Youm)
Updated 19 March 2018
Follow

Prince Charles discusses religious tolerance with Egyptian PhD students in London

LONDON: Prince Charles met with a group of Egyptian students from Cairo’s Al-Azhar University to discuss religious tolerance and efforts at combatting terrorism, said a spokesperson for the British Embassy in Cairo.

Six students from a scholarship program between the UK and Al-Azhar Univeristy met with Prince Charles at his residence in London.

The students, who are currently pursuing their PhDs at several British universities, are part of a Religious Studies Scholarship established in 2015 by the Grand Imam of Al-Azhar, Ahmed Al-Tayeb, and the British Ambassador to Egypt John Casson.

The grant seeks to promote dialogue between cultures and religions. Since 2016, six scholarships have been awarded and each grant is valued at more than £170,000 per candidate.

The reception was attended by both Ambassador Casson and the director of the British Council in Egypt, Jeff Streeter.

“We’re proud to partner with Al-Azhar to encourage dialogue and support young faith leaders like the six Egyptian students here today, in order to promote the values of peace, openness and tolerance,” said Ambassador Casson.

It is planned to raise a further £2m to provide for 15 more scholarships from now until 2025.

The meeting came after the recent death of an Egyptian engineering student in the UK, who was severely beaten and subsequently died, following an attack by a group of young women.


Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

Updated 58 min 46 sec ago
Follow

Thirty four Australians released from Syrian camp holding Daesh affiliated families

  • Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children

ROJ CAMP: Syrian Kurdish forces on Monday released 34 Australians from a camp ​holding families of suspected Daesh militants in northern Syria, saying they would be flown to Australia from Damascus.
Hukmiya Mohamed, a co-director of Roj camp, told Reuters that the ‌34 Australians ‌had been ​released ‌to ⁠members ​of their families ⁠who had come to Syria for the release. They were put on small buses for Damascus.
Roj camp holds more than 2,000 people from 40 ⁠different nationalities, the majority of ‌them women ‌and children.
Thousands of ​people believed ‌to be linked to Daesh militants have been held at Roj and a second camp, Al-Hol, since the militant group was driven ‌from its final territorial foothold in Syria in 2019.
Syrian ⁠government ⁠forces seized swathes of northern Syria from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in January, before agreeing a ceasefire on January 29.
The US military last week completed a mission to transfer 5,700 adult male Daesh detainees from Syria to ​Iraq.