Women’s world No. 1 Ng On-yee targets more world championship glory and route into men’s game

Ng On-yee embarks on her world title defense in Malta this week. (AFP)
Updated 13 March 2018
Follow

Women’s world No. 1 Ng On-yee targets more world championship glory and route into men’s game

HONG KONG: Snooker world champion Ng On-yee has already made history — last month she became the first Asian to top the women’s world rankings.
Now the Hong Kong pioneer, who embarks on her world title defense in Malta this week, wants to change the image of the male-dominated game and enable more women follow in her footsteps.
Instantly recognizable with her large round-rimmed spectacles, Ng, 27, is coy about her achievement, describing her ascent to No. 1 last month as “a surprise” as she only found out from her coach Wayne Griffiths.
The milestone came after a record 2017 when she won her second world championship and six other titles. But Ng has no intention of stopping there — now she is striving to make a mark on the men’s circuit.
Ng became the first Asian woman to be invited to the men’s world championship in 2016 and, although she lost in the first qualifying round, she still saw it as a valuable learning experience.
She is keen to dispel the image of snooker as a male-dominated sport saying that physical strength does not matter. “It is a mind game,” Ng told AFP.
“To play the best game is to forget about winning and losing and try to apply what I’ve learnt from my daily training.”
In February she finally overtook long-standing world No. 1 England’s Reanne Evans — who had held top spot for a decade — after reaching the quarter-finals of the British Championships.
“Reaching number one is one step, maintaining the ranking is another,” Ng said, pointing out the narrow points gap separating the top players.
“I try not to focus too much on it, because whether I’m the world number one or not, it shouldn’t affect my game,” she smiled ahead of defending her ranking and her title when the women’s world championship begins in Malta on Wednesday.
She is part of a growing band of female snooker stars emerging in Hong Kong — there are remarkably three other players from the southern Chinese city occupying spots in the women’s world top 15.
Hong Kong’s best-known men’s player remains veteran Marco Fu — one of Ng’s idols. He is ranked 10th in the world and a former world championship semifinalist, but the 40-year-old has been forced to take a break while he recovers from an eye problem.
The sport’s popularity is also exploding in neighboring mainland China which now hosts half a dozen men’s world ranking events with the country’s Ding Junhui, currently the world No. 4, was the first Asian to have reach world No. 1 in 2016.
Ng says 40-year-old Fu is an inspiration and she sent a message urging him to rest after hearing he had undergone surgery for retinal degeneration in his left eye.
Her own trademark glasses are due to astigmatism in both eyes and she says the round lenses help her perfect her aim from a variety of angles.
Ng spent her early years running around the snooker hall her parents managed in the working-class Hong Kong district of Sham Shui Po, stacked with high-rise buildings and known for its bustling street market.
Smoke-filled snooker halls are often portrayed as shady dens frequented by triads in Hong Kong movies.
But Ng always felt at home there and enjoyed watching her father, who was an amateur player.
She particularly loved his snooker outfit, a sleek waistcoat and bow-tie — a look which Ng herself has adopted.
“I wished one day I could wear the same,” she recalled and started learning the game from her dad when she was 13.
Her father traveled with her to overseas tournaments and would comfort her when she cried after losing as a youngster.
“If I practiced well, my dad would make a mark on a blackboard. When there were 10 marks, he would reward me with hamburgers and french fries,” Ng told AFP.
Her strict eight-hour a day training schedule covers break-building, shot selection and fitness at the Hong Kong Sports Institute, although Ng still finds time to play with her dad at his snooker club.
It was a difficult transition from teen student to professional, says Ng. She gave up school aged 17 to choose what she calls a “different path.”
“Sometimes I felt quite empty when speaking to some of my friends, especially with the topics outside of snooker,” she told AFP. But with the support and understanding of her peer group she managed to adapt.
Ng returned to studying last year to complete an advanced accounting diploma, but says snooker is still her priority.
She sees herself as an ambassador for the women’s sport.
“Hopefully I can let people know snooker is a healthy sport and ladies can also play snooker — even with glasses.”


Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

Al-Ahli survive first-half scare to cruise to victory and tie Al-Hilal at the top of Saudi Pro League

  • Al-Ahli draw level with league leaders Al-Hilal on 53 points after trailing 1-0 down at half-time
  • Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh play out seven-goal thriller in Dammam

DAMMAM: Matchday 23 kicked began with what ultimately became a comfortable victory for Al-Ahli over relegation-battling Al-Najma at home. However, the hosts endured a tough first 45 minutes, falling 1-0 behind and missing a penalty before scoring four in the second half against the 10-man visitors.

Al-Najma — fresh off their first victory in Saudi Pro League history when they beat Al-Kholood last week — arrived in Jeddah with confidence. Despite facing an in-form Al-Ahli, they controlled the tempo early on, forcing the hosts play on the back foot for much of the opening half hour.

The architect of Al-Najma’s bright start was Néstor El Maestro, returning to the Saudi Pro League for the first time in five years. After guiding the club to their first win in 21 matches, a result in Al-Ahli’s backyard would have provided the perfect reignite their survival bid.

El Maestro once said, “Life is too short to spend defending in a low block”, during his time at relegation-battling Göztepe in the Turkish Süper Lig in 2022. That philosophy defined Al-Najma’s bold approach against the reigning Asian Champions League Elite and Saudi Super Cup holders.

Initially, the strategy paid off. Davd Tijanić beat two Al-Ahli defenders with a deft move on the left flank in the 27th minute before releasing Lázaro, who finished past Édouard Mendy to hand the visitors a surprise lead.

Al-Ahli immediately pushed for an equaliser. Ivan Toney was brought down in the box in the 29th minute, only for the referee to wave away penalty appeals. Moments later, a handball inside Al-Najma’s area led to a lengthy VAR review and eventually a spot-kick for the hosts.

Toney, seeking his 21st goal of the campaign and boasting a perfect record from the spot for Al-Ahli, saw his penalty saved by Victor Braga. He pounced on the rebound, but Braga recovered to claim the ball and preserve the lead.

Braga continued to frustrate the hosts with several key saves before clashing into an opponent on the verge of half-time. The referee initially awarded a second penalty to Al-Ahli, but after a VAR review overturned the decision, Al-Najma went into the break still in front.

Al-Ahli knew a victory was essential on a pivotal weekend, with city rivals Al-Ittihad facing Al-Hilal in a clash that could influence the title race. Their response after the interval was swift, with Riyad Mahrez delivering a dipping cross that was met by Valentin Atangana, who headed in the equaliser.

Atangana was fouled ten minutes later, when Felippe Cardoso pushed him in the face. The Brazilian striker, already booked, received his marching orders from the referee.

With a numerical advantage, Al-Ahli asserted control. Roger Ibañez picked out Mahrez with a measured long pass over the top. The Algerian cushioned a first-time lay-off into Toney’s path, and the English striker finished clinically in the 69th minute.

Toney added his second of the evening — and 22nd of the season — in the 87th minute, meeting Matheus Gonçalves’ cross at the far post with a first-time finish. The Englishman completed his hat-trick in the fourth minute of stoppage time after Al-Najma conceded their second penalty of the night.

The win moves Al-Ahli level on points with Al-Hilal on 53 points, awaiting their game later this week. Meanwhile, El Maestro’s task with Al-Najma grows more difficult, as Al-Riyadh’s 2-0 victory over Al-Kholood in Qassim leaves Al-Najma eight points adrift of safety.

Elsewhere, Al-Ettifaq and Al-Fateh produced one of the season’s most entertaining encounters in an Eastern Province derby. Al-Ettifaq raced into a 3-0 lead inside 36 minutes, with goals from Khalid Al-Ghannam and Georginio Wijnaldum putting them firmly in control.

North African duo Mourad Batna and Sofiane Bendebka dragged Al-Fateh back into the contest with goals on either side of stoppage time in the first half. Madallah Al-Olayan restored Al-Ettifaq’s cushion in 48th minute, but Batna struck again in the 71st minute to set up a tense finale.

After seven goals in a back-and-forth thriller, Al-Ettifaq held on for a 4-3 victory in Dammam.

Saudi Pro League action resumes on Friday, with Al-Okhdood hosting Al-Qadsiah, Al-Taawoun welcoming Al-Fayha and Al-Shabab travelling to Khamis Mushait to face Damac. All games kick off at 10:00pm in the league’s unified Ramadan schedule.