Over 2,200 citizens in Kuwait want to go home: Philippines

1 / 5
A Filipino worker who was repatriated from Kuwait carries her child upon arrival at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Paranaque, Metro Manila, Philippines February 12, 2018. (Reuters)
2 / 5
Filipino workers who were repatriated from Kuwait fill out labor-related papers upon arrival at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Paranaque, Metro Manila, Philippines February 12, 2018. (Reuters)
3 / 5
Filipino workers who were repatriated from Kuwait fill out labor-related papers upon arrival at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Paranaque, Metro Manila in the Philippines February 12, 2018. (Reuters)
4 / 5
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte shows a photo of a Filipino worker in Kuwait during a press conference in Davao City, in the southern island of Mindanao on February 9, 2018. (AFP)
5 / 5
Filipino workers who were repatriated from Kuwait take part in a dialogue with a Department of Labour official at Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Paranaque, Metro Manila, Philippines February 12, 2018. (Reuters)
Updated 12 February 2018
Follow

Over 2,200 citizens in Kuwait want to go home: Philippines

MANILA: More than 2,200 Filipinos are ready to take up President Rodrigo Duterte’s offer to repatriate workers from Kuwait due to reports of abuse, the Philippine labor minister said on Sunday.
Duterte asked Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific on Friday to provide flights for Filipinos who want to leave Kuwait, after a the body of a Filipino worker was found in a freezer of an abandoned apartment.
“We have been informed that as of Friday there were 2,200-plus Filipinos who are willing to go home,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III told Reuters, adding that some of them had overstayed their visas and applied for an amnesty.
The airlines have arranged free charter flights, and Bello said almost 500 Filipino workers were due to arrive soon.
The Philippines suspended sending workers to Kuwait in January after reports that abuse by employers had driven several to suicide. Duterte said on Friday that suspension would remain indefinitely.
Kuwait’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Al Jarallah expressed “surprise and sorrow” at Duterte’s remarks in January, saying that legal proceedings had been taken in the cases of the four suicide cases mentioned by the president.
More than 250,000 Filipinos work in Kuwait, the Philippine foreign ministry estimates, most as domestic helpers.
The government would help repatriated workers look for jobs, Bello said.
“We are into a re-integration program, we have a program in place for them,” he told the ANC news channel. “They will be given a livelihood.”
“We are now in the process of looking for alternative markets. One of them is China and even Russia,” he said, without elaborating.


Restoring economic growth in Lebanon will require comprehensive reforms, IMF says

Updated 25 sec ago
Follow

Restoring economic growth in Lebanon will require comprehensive reforms, IMF says

  • Kozack said the IMF ⁠remained in discussions with Lebanese authorities

WASHINGTON: Lebanon’s economy has shown resilience despite conflicts in the region, with tourism fueling a bit of a rebound, but restoring growth will require comprehensive ⁠reforms, the International ⁠Monetary Fund said on Thursday.
IMF spokeswoman Julie Kozack said the IMF ⁠remained in discussions with Lebanese authorities, following their request for an IMF-supported program in March 2025, including a staff mission to Beirut in early February.
Discussions ⁠were ⁠focused on two big issues, she said, citing the need for banking sector restructuring and a medium-term fiscal strategy.