Australian Open day one review

Sloane Stephens of the US lost to Zhang Shuai of China at the Australian Open. (REUTERS)
Updated 15 January 2018
Follow

Australian Open day one review

Arab News takes a look at how all the other big names did on day one in Melbourne — who lived to fight another day and who has already been forced to pack their bags?

GREGOR DIMITROV (3) STAYING: Many are predicting this could be the tournament which sees the Bulgarian make his Grand Slam breakthrough. He started the event well enough with a simple 6-3, 6-2, 6-1 victory over Australian qualifier Dennis Novak. Not a bad way to get your title tilt started.

NICK KYRGIOS (17) STAYING: The Aussie ace has been in good form recently and kept the outbursts, for which he in famous, to a minimum. Has all the ability in the world and that was evident during his easy 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 rout of Brazilian Rogerio Dutra Silva.

MARIN CILIC (6) STAYING: The big-serving Croatian had a bit of work to do as needed four sets to see off Canadian qualifier Vasek Pospil 6-2, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6. He has one Grand Slam to his name (the US Open in 2014) but will need to improve if he is to have a chance of adding a second here.

ELINA SVITOLINA (4) STAYING: One of the favorites to win in Melbourne and while any likelihood of he lifting the trophy is hard to gauge from her 6-3, 6-2 win over qualifier Ivan Jorovic, the Ukrainian certainly looked to be in fine form.

JELENA OSTAPENKO (7) STAYING: The French Open winner was a big name not to fall at the first hurdle, she easily beat Francesca Schiavone 6-1, 6-4 on the Rod Laver Arena. The Latvian is definitely one to watch.

KEVIN ANDERSON (11) PACKING HIS BAGS: The big-hitting South African’s last Grand Slam match was the US Open final, however, that counted for little as the 11th seed was given his marching orders by world No. 49 Kyle Edmund, 6-7, 6-3, 3-6 6-3, 6-4.

SLOANE STEPHENS (13) PACKING HER BAGS: The US Open champion had a match to forget as she was sensationally dumped out of the tournament by China’s world No. 34 Zhang Shuai. The American lost 2-6 7-6, 6-2 in one hour and 58 minutes in Melbourne.

COCO VANDEWEGHE (10) PACKING HER BAGS: Last year saw the American go from strength to strength and talked about as a future Grand Slam champion. She will not, however, land that first major in Melbourne as she was shocked Timea Babos 7-6, 6-2. The math will be remember for Vandeweghe’s outburst over a shortage of bananas — all in all it was a bad day for the American.

DOMINIKA CIBULKOVA (24) PACKING HER BAGS: The 2014 Australian Open finalist lost to Kaia Kanep. The Slovak endured a poor 2017 and here year got off to the worst possible start with this first-round exit in Melbourne, losing 6-2, 6-2.


Badosa slams online ‘disrespect’ after Dubai injury retirement

Updated 2 sec ago
Follow

Badosa slams online ‘disrespect’ after Dubai injury retirement

  • She took to social media to ‌hit back ‌at an individual who said she disrespected the game
  • “You ​have ‌no ⁠idea what ​it’s ⁠like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going,” Badosa wrote
DUBAI:Paula Badosa lashed out on Wednesday ‌at a “disrespectful” comment online and vowed to prolong her injury-hit career after a right thigh issue forced the former world number two to retire from her match at the already depleted Dubai Tennis ​Championships.
The Spaniard had worked her way back into the top 10 in the world last year with strong displays after a string of injuries, including a chronic back problem, left her contemplating early retirement in 2024.
Badosa went up 4-1 against Elina Svitolina in her second round match in Dubai on Tuesday, but lost the next five games and dropped the first set, before the 28-year-old called for treatment and then decided to throw in the towel.
She later took to social media to ‌hit back ‌at an individual who said she disrespected the game.
“You ​have ‌no ⁠idea what ​it’s ⁠like to live with a chronic injury and still choose to keep going,” Badosa wrote.
“To wake up everyday not knowing how your body will respond, searching for solutions, and fighting for something you love and give everything even when it’s so difficult.”
Badosa said she faced “endless nightmares” while trying to find lasting solutions, but being able to step onto the tennis court was worth the trouble.
“So I’ll keep trying,” she said.
“Because it’s all ⁠about trying and that won’t change. I’ll always try one ‌more time. I’m doing this for my passion ... ‌If there’s even a 1 percent chance to keep going, ​I’ll take it. That’s just how I ‌see and understand life.”
WIDER DEBATE
Badosa’s comments reignited a wider debate on players having ‌to deal with hurtful social media comments.
“For me the only disrespect here is to open social media and read messages like this,” Badosa added.
“Then we complain if we see players suffering and having mental health issues, but I’m not surprised with the amount of hate and ‘experts’ ‌we have here.”
The WTA told Reuters that protecting players and the wider tennis family from vile online threats and abuse ⁠remained a high ⁠priority for the governing body of the women’s game.
Australia’s Destanee Aiava said last week that she would quit the sport this year, describing tennis culture as “racist, misogynistic, homophobic and hostile” as she highlighted the online negativity she had received.
Several women’s players have spoken about similar issues, with Svitolina saying she received death threats following her Canadian Open defeat last season, blaming the “shameful” behavior on disgruntled bettors.
Angry gamblers were responsible for 40 percent of the detected abuse at players, a survey by the WTA and the International Tennis Federation published last year revealed.
“I’d say it’s not just betting, it’s overall cyberbullying all the time,” world number six Amanda Anisimova said.
“Commenting on ​everything, like my body all the ​time, every single day. It’s difficult.
“I don’t think that people realize the extent of it, how much of an effect it can have on someone.”