UAE says Qatari jets intercepted civilian flights, Doha denies

(Emmanuel Dunand/AFP)
Updated 16 January 2018
Follow

UAE says Qatari jets intercepted civilian flights, Doha denies

DUBAI: The UAE on Monday said Qatari fighter jets had twice intercepted civilian passenger planes en route to Bahrain in a “clear violation of international law.”
In the first incident the UAE General Authority of Civil Aviation  (GCAA) received a message from one of the UAE’s national carriers on Monday morning that one of its aircraft on a flight to Manama on a normal route had been intercepted by Qatari fighters.
The second incident also involved a civilian aircraft during a flight to Bahrain International Airport on a regular scheduled and well-known journey. But the WAM report did not name the airline involved or give further details of the incident.
The report added that the flight was a “regular, scheduled service, on a known flight-path that met all the required and internationally recognized approvals and permits.”
“Qatari fighter jets intercepted an Emirati civilian aircraft during a routine flight to Manama in a flagrant threat to civil aviation safety and in a clear violation of international law,” the GCAA said in a statement published by the state news agency WAM. Arab News tried contacting the GCAA but received no response as well as the Qatar Civil Aviation Authority but also did not get a response.
Saif Al-Suwaidi, Director-General of the UAE General Civil Aviation Authority confirmed on Monday that the two commercial airliners that were intercepted by Qatari fighter jets were regular and scheduled flights with a well-known track, which meet the necessary approvals and internationally recognized permits .

He added that the two incidents occurred while the two planes were approaching Manama airport, as it was about to land in low altitude. "The two Emirates aircraft were intercepted by military fighter jets in a dangerous and prohibited way under international law governing civil aviation."
He explained that "the sudden interception of a civil aircraft by a fighter jet may lead to a reaction from the pilot that could threaten the safety of the passengers and crew."
He confirmed that "the two planes arrived safely to Bahrain and returned to the UAE."
Al-Suwaidi stressed that the course followed by the two aircrafts is "an international shipping route available for air traffic in this region”, and that “there is no prior objection from the State of Qatar to use it."
He added that the UAE General Civil Aviation Authority "is studying all options to respond to this serious breach of the international conventions and legal tools available to the International Civil Aviation Organization as well".
"We will move promptly to ensure the safety and security of our civilian aircraft."
The UAE official explained that "in such cases, an evidence-based complaint is submitted to the International Civil Aviation Organization, for consideration according to their specific procedures.”
He also said that the GCAA is urgently preparing this complaint.
The Bahraini Civil Aviation Authority said that it too will raise a detailed report to the ICAO on what happened. It said that the interception required air traffic controllers to intervene in order to maintain air safety, while the Qatari jets came within two miles of the commercial airline, which they said put the safety of passengers and crew at risk. They added that the second flight, an Etihad Airline flight from Abu Dhabi, is also under investigation.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain said in a statement on its website that it strongly condemned the Qatar fighter aircraft intercepting a civilian aircraft from the UAE during its normal flight this morning. The statement said: "It is a clear violation of the relevant international conventions and laws, in particular those of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the provisions of the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation and its amendments of 1944.
Saudi Arabia also condemned the attack.
"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs affirms that this rejected hostile behavior by Qatar against civil aircrafts has become frequent in recent times and jeopardizes the safety of civil aviation and poses a threat to the lives of civilians.
"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stresses the Kingdom of Bahrain's full support for the UAE and its backing for all of its measures to maintain its security and stability, to stop these violations and to repel these breaches by the State of Qatar."
The leader of the Qatari opposition, Sheikh Sultan bin Suhaim Al-Thani, condemned Doha for sending the jets. “Qatar first needs to intercept the Iranian and Israeli planes that are roaming its airspace instead of intercepting a civilian plane belonging to our brothers,” he said in his remarks via his Twitter account.
“The Qatari government spares no effort to escalate matters. When they meet, they start shouting and wailing and playing the victim's role,” he added.

But a Qatari foreign ministry official later denied the claim according to news reports.
And Sheikh Saif Bin Ahmed Al-Thani, the director of Qatar’s government communications office, said on his official Twitter account that the charge was “completely untrue.”
On Friday, Qatar filed a complaint with the United Nations about an alleged violation of its airspace in December by an Emirati military aircraft.
Qatari authorities said the violation on Dec. 21, which the UAE denied, lasted one minute.
The UAE is home to two major national carriers, Abu Dhabi-based Etihad and Dubai-based Emirates. But the Associated Press said that both airlines declined to comment.
US Air Force Central Command, which is based at the sprawling Al-Udeid Air Base in Qatar, also did not immediately have any report about any incident involving a commercial aircraft in the region, said Lt. Col. Damien Pickart, an Air Force spokesman – adding that the US did not routinely monitor flights and operations of the Qatari airforce.
The Qatar crisis began June 5 with Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE cutting off Doha's land, sea and air routes over its alleged support of extremists and close ties with Iran. Qatar has long denied funding extremists. It recently restored full diplomatic relations with Iran.
(With AP, AFP and Reuters)


How Gaza’s shattered fishing industry deepened the enclave’s food security crisis

Updated 19 February 2026
Follow

How Gaza’s shattered fishing industry deepened the enclave’s food security crisis

  • Once a pillar of local food security, Gaza’s fishing sector has been reduced to a fraction of its prewar capacity
  • UN agencies warn the destruction of boats and ports has deepened aid dependence and worsened protein shortages

DUBAI: Gaza’s fishing industry — once a critical source of food, income and affordable protein — has been largely destroyed as a result of Israel’s war with Hamas, worsening the Palestinian enclave’s food security crisis.

According to the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, fishing activity in Gaza now stands at less than 10 percent of prewar levels following the widespread destruction of boats, ports and equipment, combined with prolonged maritime closures enforced under Israel’s naval blockade.

UN and human rights organizations estimate that up to 72 percent of Gaza’s fishing fleet has been damaged or destroyed, alongside near-total devastation of related infrastructure, including landing sites, storage facilities and repair workshops.

Israel's naval blockade has Gaza's fishing industry to decline to about a tenth of pre-war levels. (Reuters photo)

The remaining vessels are small, damaged skiffs capable of operating only meters from shore.

Ramzy Baroud, a journalist, author and editor of The Palestine Chronicle, said the destruction of Gaza’s fishing sector must be understood as part of a deliberate policy aimed at preventing Palestinians from developing independent food-producing systems.

Baroud says Israel had pursued a strategy since 1967 to foster Palestinian dependency — first on the Israeli economy, and later on humanitarian aid entering Gaza through Israeli-controlled crossings — leaving the population permanently vulnerable to economic collapse.

“This vulnerability is functional for Israel, as it allows the Israeli government and military to leverage their control over Palestinian lives through political pressure in pursuit of concessions,” he told Arab News.

Palestinians were prevented from developing local industry through restrictions on imports and exports, while much of Gaza’s arable land was seized or turned into military targets, he said.

“Likewise, the fishing sector was deliberately crippled through direct attacks on fishermen, including arrests, live fire, confiscation of equipment, and the sinking or destruction of boats,” he added.

FAO has documented widespread destruction across Gaza’s coastal fishing areas.

“In Gaza’s fishing areas now lie broken boats, torn nets, and ruined infrastructure, standing in stark contrast to the once-vibrant industry that supported thousands of fishers for generations,” Beth Bechdol, FAO deputy director-general, said in a statement.

Before the war, more than 4,000 registered fishermen worked along Gaza’s 40-kilometer coastline, supporting tens of thousands of family members and contributing to local food security in an enclave heavily dependent on imports.

Today, the majority have been stripped of their livelihoods, as access to the sea has become sporadic, dangerous, or entirely prohibited.

For decades, fishing off Gaza was restricted to shifting maritime zones — typically between three and 12 nautical miles offshore — often tightened or closed entirely during periods of escalation.

Since October 2023, when the Israel-Hamas conflict began, humanitarian organizations say there have been extended periods of total maritime closure, effectively banning fishing and depriving Gaza’s population of one of its few remaining sources of local food production.

Baroud said the assault on Gaza’s fishing sector was not a by-product of war, but part of a deliberate strategy that intensified during the conflict.

“For Gaza, the sea represents freedom,” he said. “All of Gaza’s other borders are controlled by Israel, either directly or indirectly.”

Israel had consistently worked to deny Palestinians access to the sea, he said. And despite commitments under the Oslo Accords to allow fishing up to 20 nautical miles offshore, those provisions were never honored.

“The assault on Gaza’s fishing sector is therefore not incidental,” Baroud said. “It is about severing Palestinians from one of the few spaces not entirely enclosed by walls, checkpoints, and military control.”

Israel has generally rejected or not accepted accusations that it is unlawfully targeting Gaza’s fishermen, framing incidents at sea as enforcement of security zones or as under investigation rather than deliberate attacks on civilians.​

In past lethal incidents at sea highlighted by Human Rights Watch, the Israel Defense Forces have typically said boats “deviated from the designated fishing zone” and that forces fired after warnings were ignored.

According to FAO, rebuilding Gaza’s fishing sector will be impossible without a fundamental change in access and security conditions.

“For Gazans, the sea was not just a source of food, but a source of livelihood and identity,” Bechdol said.

“FAO can assist to help rebuild Gaza’s fishing industry. But for this to happen, peace must first be established and fishers must be allowed to operate their boats and cast their nets without fear of harm.”

Ciro Fiorillo, head of the FAO office for the West Bank and Gaza, said the agency is primed to offer assistance once the security situation improves.

“FAO is ready to restart projects, replenish damaged boats and equipment, and inject emergency funds as soon as these key fishing inputs for production are allowed to enter the Strip, a sustained ceasefire is in place, and access to the sea is restored,” Fiorillo said in a statement.

Since the Oct. 7, 2023, Hamas-led attack on southern Israel triggered the Israeli military assault on Gaza, much of the enclave has been flattened, tens of thousands killed, and some 90 percent of the population displaced.

Even since the ceasefire came into effect with the exchange of hostages and prisoners in October last year, pockets of violence have continued and humanitarian needs remain dire. The collapse of fishing has only compounded an already catastrophic food crisis.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs has repeatedly warned that the destruction of food-producing systems — including agriculture, fisheries and markets — has pushed Gaza toward famine, with households facing extreme shortages of protein and calories.

With farmland destroyed, livestock killed and imports severely restricted, fish was once among the few foods that could still be sourced locally.

Its near disappearance has driven prices beyond reach for most families and increased dependence on limited humanitarian aid.

“This is about denying Palestinians access to life itself — to survival,” said Baroud.

The destruction of fishing forces Palestinians into deeper dependence on humanitarian aid that Israel itself controls, effectively weaponizing food rather than allowing Palestinians to sustain themselves independently, he said.

Human rights groups documenting maritime enforcement report that fishermen attempting to operate — even close to the shore — face gunfire, pursuit, detention and arrest, contributing to a climate in which fishing has become a life-threatening activity rather than a livelihood.

According to rights monitors, the destruction of larger vessels has eliminated the possibility of reaching deeper waters, forcing the few remaining fishermen to operate in unsafe, shallow zones with damaged equipment, limited fuel and no protection.

Baroud said international law clearly obligates an occupying power to protect civilian livelihoods and ensure access to food and means of survival.

“The systematic targeting of fishermen — who are civilians engaged in subsistence activity — cannot be justified as a military necessity, especially when it results in starvation and famine,” Baroud said.

He said the Fourth Geneva Convention prohibits collective punishment, the destruction of civilian infrastructure and the targeting of livelihoods.

The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights has described the restriction of Gaza’s fishing sector as part of a broader assault on civilian survival systems, warning that the denial of access to the sea has direct implications for nutrition, employment and aid dependency.

Baroud said the recovery of Gaza’s fishing sector could not occur in isolation from the broader economy.

“Only a measure of real freedom for Palestinians — freedom of movement, access to land and sea, and the ability to import, export and produce independently — can allow Gaza’s industries and economy to recover,” he said.

Without ending the system of control governing Palestinian life, Baroud said, any discussion of reconstruction or recovery would remain hollow.

As famine warnings intensify, the fishing sector’s collapse stands as a stark example of how Gaza’s food system has fractured.

What was once a daily livelihood is now reduced to occasional, high-risk attempts to secure food.

With no functioning fleet and no safe access to waters, Gaza’s fishermen are operating at the edge of survival.