Haiti ‘shocked’ by Trump comments, summons US envoy

Haiti’s ambassador to Washington, Paul Altidor, said it was distressing that attention was drawn to the comments on Friday, the eighth anniversary of a devastating earthquake believed to have killed 220,000 people on the island, and should be a day of remembrance.
Updated 12 January 2018
Follow

Haiti ‘shocked’ by Trump comments, summons US envoy

PORT-AU-PRINCE: Haiti on Friday expressed shock at reports that US President Donald Trump referred to the Caribbean nation as a “*hithole,” and summoned the top US diplomat in the country for an explanation.
Trump on Thursday questioned why the United States would want to have immigrants from Haiti and African nations, referring to some as “*hithole countries,” according to two sources familiar with the comments.
On Friday, the Republican president denied using those words. But Democratic US Senator Dick Durbin, who attended a White House meeting on immigration the previous day, confirmed to reporters that Trump used “vile, vulgar” language, including “*hithole.”
African politicians labeled Trump a racist, while the United Nations human rights office rejected the reported comments as “racist” and inciting xenophobia.
Haiti’s ambassador to Washington, Paul Altidor, said it was distressing that attention was drawn to the comments on Friday, the eighth anniversary of a devastating earthquake believed to have killed 220,000 people on the island, and should be a day of remembrance.
“I spoke with President Jovenel Moise about the issue, and, of course, the president condemns such language and he is shocked.”
Altidor said Foreign Affairs Minister Antonio Rodrigue told him the US chargé d’affaires in Haiti had been summoned to provide an explanation about the reported comments.
The ambassador said Haiti should be remembered for its contributions to history, including supporting the American Revolution by sending troops to the Battle of Savannah in Georgia in 1779.
“Haitians don’t deserve such treatment,” Altidor said. “Haitians should not be seen as a bunch of immigrants who come to the United States to exploit US resources.
“We have been here for a long time and have contributed to what the United States is today. We even made the ultimate sacrifice when we shed our blood in Savannah.”


US renews threat to leave IEA

Updated 11 sec ago
Follow

US renews threat to leave IEA

  • US Energy Secretary Chris Wright says the 52-year-old agency should return to its founding mission of ensuring energy security
PARIS: US Energy Secretary Chris Wright renewed his threat Thursday to pull out of the International Energy Agency, saying Washington would press the organization to abandon a net-zero agenda “in the next year or so.”
Speaking on the last day of an IEA ministerial meeting in Paris, Wright said the 52-year-old agency should return to its founding mission of ensuring energy security.
The IEA was created to coordinate responses to major disruptions of supplies after the 1973 oil crisis, but Wright complained that it has adopted a climate agenda that includes the goal of reaching net zero emissions by 2050.
“The US will use all the pressure we have to get the IEA to eventually, in the next year or so, move away from this agenda,” Wright said in a news conference.
“But if the IEA is not able to bring itself back to focusing on the mission of energy honesty, energy access and energy security, then sadly we would become an ex-member of the IEA,” he added.