Saudi Transport Ministry takes steps to imporve road safety

Updated 12 December 2017
Follow

Saudi Transport Ministry takes steps to imporve road safety

RIYADH: The Ministry of Transport on Sunday signed an agreement with E.T.C. Engineering Inc. to provide consultative engineering services in road safety, as part of the ministry’s pursuit to achieve one of the main strategic goals of the Vision 2030 concerning the enhancement of traffic safety.

This step comes within the context of the ministry’s efforts to raise the level of safety on the roads and reduce the number of deaths due to traffic accidents by 25 percent by 2020.

Minister of Transport Nabil bin Mohammed Al-Amoudi signed the contract in the presence of the deputy minister of transport, Saad bin Abdul Aziz Al-Khallab, and a number of ministry officials and advisers of the international company, at the ministry’s headquarters in Riyadh.

The agreement included establishing main offices as well as branches all over the Kingdom in coordination with a special technical and logistical support office at E.T.C. Engineering headquarters in Ohio.

The agreement also includes evaluating and raising the level of safety on the roads; implementing the best international practices in this respect; preparing technical guides for road safety and traffic engineering; establishing a main control room at the ministry headquarters; updating the guidance systems; organizing safety measures for service workers; presenting comprehensive developmental solutions; and training engineers at the ministry.


Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

Updated 5 sec ago
Follow

Saudi project clears 2,676 explosive devices in Yemen

  • Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018

RIYADH: Members of Saudi Arabia’s Project Masam removed 2,108 explosive devices from various regions of Yemen last week.

The total included 2,484 unexploded ordnances, 149 anti-tank mines, 17 anti-personnel mines and 26 improvised explosive devices, according to a recent report.

The explosives were planted indiscriminately and posed a threat to civilians, including children, women and the elderly.

The demining operations took place in Marib, Aden, Jouf, Shabwa, Taiz, Hodeidah, Lahij, Sanaa, Al-Bayda, Al-Dhale and Saada.

Ousama Al-Gosaibi, Project Masam’s managing director, said the initiative had cleared a total of 544,187 mines since it began in 2018.

Teams are tasked with clearing villages, roads and schools to facilitate the safe movement of civilians and delivery of humanitarian aid.

The project trains local demining engineers, provides them with modern equipment, and offers support to Yemenis injured by the devices.