Pakistan bans Jamshed for 12 months in fixing case

Pakistan’s Nasir Jamshed plays South Africa’s Lonwabo Tsotsobe’s delivery during their first Twenty20 cricket match in Johannesburg, Nov. 20, 2013. (REUTERS)
Updated 11 December 2017
Follow

Pakistan bans Jamshed for 12 months in fixing case

LAHORE: Pakistan Monday handed former opener Nasir Jamshed a one-year ban for failing to cooperate with investigators in a spot-fixing case that rocked the Pakistan Super League earlier this year.
Jamshed was allegedly the middle man between players and an alleged bookie. He has denied all charges.
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) legal adviser Taffazul Rizvi announced the verdict, saying the investigation into fixing charges was still under way.
“The three-member tribunal banned Jamshed for one year for non-cooperation with the investigation,” Rizvi told media.
“PCB has not levelled any fixing charges on Jamshed as yet as there is another investigation under way against him in (the) UK.”
Britain’s National Crime Agency arrested Jamshed and one unnamed person five days after the spot-fixing allegations surfaced during the second edition of the PSL in February.
Former Pakistan opener Sharjeel Khan was banned for five years — with half of that sentence suspended — while his fellow teammate Khalid Latif was also banned for five years and fined one million rupees ($9,460) in the same case.
Khan was charged for playing two dot balls during the PSL match between Islamabad United and Peshawar Zalmi as part of a spot-deal struck by Latif.
Spot-fixing is the practice of pre-determining the outcome of a specific part of a match in return for money.
Jamshed has played two Tests, 48 one-day internationals and 18 Twenty20 for Pakistan.
He was last included in Pakistan’s World Cup 2015 squad as a replacement but was booed off by the crowd for being overweight and in poor form.
Another former opener Shahzaib Hasan is also under investigation in the case.
Paceman Mohammad Irfan (banned for one year) and spinner Mohammad Nawaz (banned for two months) have completed their sentences on not reporting fixing offers to the PCB.


FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

Updated 20 February 2026
Follow

FIFA and Board of Peace to support Gaza reconstruction through football

  • The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms

FIFA and the ‌Board of Peace signed a partnership agreement on Thursday to attract investment from global leaders and ​institutions for sustainable development in conflict-affected regions through football.
The Board of Peace, established under the US President Donald Trump, held its first meeting focused on Gaza’s reconstruction fund, aimed at rebuilding the territory once Hamas disarms.
The disarmament of ‌Hamas militants ‌and accompanying withdrawal of ​Israeli ‌troops, ⁠the ​size of ⁠the reconstruction fund and the flow of humanitarian aid to the war-torn population are expected to pose significant challenges to the board’s effectiveness in the coming months.
The FIFA collaboration plan includes building 50 mini-pitches ⁠near schools and residential areas ‌in Gaza, five ‌full-size pitches across multiple districts, ​a state-of-the-art FIFA ‌academy and a new 20,000-seat national ‌stadium, FIFA said.
Trump said FIFA will raise $75 million for football-related projects in Gaza.
“Today, FIFA and the Board of Peace have signed a landmark ‌partnership agreement that will foster investment into football for the purpose ⁠of ⁠helping the recovery process in post conflict areas,” FIFA President Gianni Infantino said in a statement.
“Together with the support of the Board of Peace, FIFA will drive this partnership which is built to deliver impact at every stage.”
The program will also emphasize job creation, youth participation, organized leagues for boys and girls, ​community engagement and ​the stimulation of local commercial activities, FIFA said.